Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Working on a style for wine/alco bottles ...

thoughts?

Attachments

• bottle_setup.jpg
    bottle_setup.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 157
  • bottle_one.jpg
    bottle_one.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 158

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Mind you, my artistic eye is just about as honed as my musical ear (what's the visual equivalent to "tone deaf"?), but two things (a plus and a minus)

on the plus side, the lighting and shadow is "dramatic" and gives me a visceral feeling that says "hey, this wine is for the hoi-polloi and if I want to be cool I have to drink it too!"

On the minus side, I can't tell the brand name, so I don't know what kind of wine I have to buy to be cool.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
It looks like you're off to a great start. My only suggestion would be maybe a little bit more fill light on the front. I dig the subtractive lighting on the right, but just a touch more light in there would even out the labels the slightest bit while still keeping the cool reflections on the left side. Maybe a small reflector or some foamcore just to the right of the camera to bounce a little bit back in there without it getting too specular?

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Okiewan said:
Both good points .... will work it up with a fill card on camera right. One thing making it difficult is the "gold" text on the right bottle ... :(

Thank goodness for Photoshop! :)

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Could you rotate the bottles towards the light on camera left? May be able to keep the mood of the lighting while making sure the label is evenly lit. I dunno?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Kawidude said:
Thank goodness for Photoshop! :)
Yup.

Squid, the controlled reflection is REALLY hard to get right when going across the label (tends to wash it out), also tends to take some of the roundness out of the bottle, which leads to:

The fill card adds another white almost full reflection on the right side, which I really don't want (2 reflections) I tried MANY options, ALL of them show up to one degree or another.... so;

(to contradict myself), we'll use two exposures in raw, one for the bottle, one for the labels and run with it.

Glass is challenging! Thanks for the input all!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I was also thinking the shadows make it dramatic but the sharp shadow line right down the center makes the labels dissapear to my aged eye. The slight fill in front may relieve this enough.

Next we know Okie will post the true proportions showing that the bottles are really 20 foot tall silos in keeping with his theme from the SUV shot the other day

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom