dat dude

Nov 11, 2002
I lost the top-end on a trip last weekend and have the jug with Eric-Gorr for a new big bore mo-better package. The bike is a 97 CR250, and I'm concerned about the possibility of material that may have fell into the bottom-end upon piston failure. Anybody have any tricks for cleaning the bottom end without having to split the cases?

madmatt

Jul 11, 2002
This might sound kinda dumb, but when I shattered a piston skirt in my YZ, I hosed the crankshaft down with WD 40 and picked off all of the little parts that stuck to it. Then I had someone help me turn the whole bike upside down and again hose the crankcase down with WD 40 and then gave the crancase a good blowing out with an air hose while turning the rod and crankshaft assembly. Sounds pretty dumb, but I got all the little pieces out and it worked without splitting the cases. If you do this MAKE SURE that you take your time and get ALL of the parts out!

Madmatt

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Madmatt you might get lucky and then you may not . Id split the motor if I were you because :peices can get stuck in the bottom scallop of the connecting rod and lock up or score something later if they become dislodged piston parts can get wedged between the case and the crankshaft causing the cases to crack ever so slightly (then leak and seize new top end)Honda case to crank distance is very close .I almost always have to weld them up when a later model honda breaks a skirt .Eric will probably have your cylinder for a week or two so if you split the cases now you will have peice of mind when its all together and fresh . GOOD LUCK

Top Bottom