DRK

Dec 31, 2002
I just bought and installed the Boyesen Pro Series carbon fiber dual stage reeds on my 99CR250 which is otherwise stock but with a new top end. I have not had a chance to ride the bike due to the weather. The instruction papers said the reeds generally make bikes run rich particularly on the top end. If the main jet is stock, they recommend dropping the main jet 1 to 3 sizes. What experiences have you guys had when swapping to these reeds?

Thanks,
Danny

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I was able to leave my main jet stock on my 99 cr250. My plug was medium to dark brown, but the bike runs excellent. I noticed an improvement in the midrange. I run a fatty and I have a little more overrev. Although, I wish it would rev a little longer. Bottom end is still strong using a 45 pilot. ( 1 step richer)

DRK

Dec 31, 2002
Thanks guys.

Darringer, I jumped in on a post a while back about hard starting and was commenting with you about the pilot jet size. I installed the 48 pilot jet I got at the same time I rebuilt the top end. The bike started on the fourth kick! It has never started that easily, and it was probably around 30 degrees out. I use to have to lay it over on its side and kick it many many times. I have not ridden it yet though. Only run the motor a couple minutes up the road and back.

Danny

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
DRK, I am still going to try the 48 pilot in my bike, also. My only concern is that I may not be able to keep it running cleanly. I tried a 50 that I had laying around and it started 1st kick, but couldn't get it to run well at low rpm. Whenever I get to the shop I will buy a 48, which ( go figure!) is the only size I don't have. Let me know how the bike runs with the 48.
Darrin

DRK

Dec 31, 2002
I will let you know how it runs after I get a chance to ride it. I am sure the idle air screw and idle screw will need some adjustment . We have snow on the ground now, and it is 11 degrees outside this morning, so it will be a while before I can ride again.

Danny

Top Bottom