SMAKme2X

Jul 13, 2003
i have a 03 drz 125 and i had to change the front tire so when i took the tire off my friend came over and pulled the front brake and now the disk caliper is stuck and i cant get it unstuck. help :bang:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Stuck where? Under the tank?

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I think you mean he pulled the brake lever. If so its hard to say without seeing it but you should be able to carefully hook the metal edge of the brake pad and the back of the caliper body and squeeze it back.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
matt-itude said:
I think you mean he pulled the brake lever.

So the piston is pushed out to far. Take the pads off, get yourself a c-clamp and a piece of flat metal. Put the metal where the pads were and clamp it down with the c-clamp. You should be able to see if it is cocked to one side. Start with the side that sticks out the farthest. Squeeze that side in first and then put the clamp in the middle of the piston and push it back in by turning the clamp. Good luck, YZ165

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
YZ165 said:
So the piston is pushed out to far. Take the pads off, get yourself a c-clamp and a piece of flat metal. Put the metal where the pads were and clamp it down with the c-clamp. You should be able to see if it is cocked to one side. Start with the side that sticks out the farthest. Squeeze that side in first and then put the clamp in the middle of the piston and push it back in by turning the clamp. Good luck, YZ165

Or just take a flat head screwdriver and gently pry the pads apart. Warning if your too aggressive you could damage the pads.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
Yeah you dont' have to put alot of pressure on the pads just constant pressure. Well this is what it seemed like when i did the same thing a couple of days ago.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Chili said:
Or just take a flat head screwdriver and gently pry the pads apart. Warning if your too aggressive you could damage the pads.

That will work. I just don't like the pad damage thing. No big deal really, I'm just anal.

Shig

~SPONSOR~
Jan 15, 2004
Sometimes, you can fit a screwdriver between just the metal part of the brake pads to pry them apart. Once you get a little space in there, a tire iron has a nice flat surface that will pry the pads apart without doing damage.

Top Bottom