Sonicr1

Jul 18, 2002
Break in

I have heard everything from get on it and ride, to baby it. One dealer said that for the first few tanks don't hammer on it but ride it normal at about 1/2 throttle. Another dealer said 1st tank 1/4 throttle, 2nd tank half throttle, 3rd tank 3/4 throttle. Any suggestions?

So I can't spell sue me... hehehehe

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Try this:
2 tanks on the manuals' suggested mix and just gas it. I am guessing the manual and dealer is telling you to do it at 32:1. After 2 tanks(brand new bike) it will be worked out, provided you didn't get overly throttle happy. Depending on the bike and year go with your tastes. Aside from that, if it's a 4 choker or a 2 smoker just ask around in the appropriate(sp) forum. I am one of the 2 smoker crowd, happy to be there too!!!!!

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
In the "old" days it might have been an issue.
Metallurgy is way advanced now than it was back then.
Rebuild it and ride it. :aj:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The advice given to me was to warm the bike up to operating temperature 3 times with a total cool down in between. This helps to prevent piston sesiure. Then riode moderately for a half hour, let it cool down and change the oil and plug. Then go for it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I subscribe to Bswift's method. The heat-n-cool thing is what does the trick.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
Yep, espescially with a Wiseco piston. The heat cycles will strech and mold the piston to fit the cylinder. Do the heat cycles and the piston will last a very long time.

r_rider28

~SPONSOR~
Feb 24, 2002
Most stock pistons are cast are they not? I could be wrong. Cast pistons don't have any stresses built in like a forged piston, the expand at the same rate from the first time it is used until the last. I agree on the heat cycles for the forged piston but I don't see the point with cast pistons. Just fire it up and go ride. Unless your a expert level rider (WOT for 30 minutes at a time) normal riding for most of us would qulify as break in riding.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I know several "locals" whose break-in consists of a 10-15 minute full-out practice, then simply allow the engine to completely cool before race time. Whether a brand new bike or fresh top-end that's always been my method and I've never seen any adverse effects of doing so.

Anybody know how the factory boys do it? It seems they show up most every week with a brand new engine and do not have time to "break-in" their race bikes each week. Granted they have the entire engine blueprinted and toleranced and are running the best of everything.

I guess one thing's for sure: If you've got the time to baby it for a few rides and get some heat cycles in it, it certainly won't hurt.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom