rvguy

May 31, 2002
Just bought an FRP brake light switch today. After reading the directions, my head really hurt. Here's the problem.......
Some time ago, my buddy ripped the rear fender off (showing off). He bought me a replacement UFO fender with a 3 wire, 2 filament rear bulb. The directions don't say anything about needing a 2 or 3 wire light assy. Can I hook up the two filaments, or is there a resistor that controls the output to just 1 filament? Any help from the KDX Brotherhood is alway appreciated.

-Scott

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
M'kay. One wire should be the ground for the light. That will be connected to one of the feed wires from the bike. One of the other two wires will be for the dim filament (constant running) and the other is for the braking filament. The only way to decide which is which is to test it out.

So, the ground from the light goes to one of the feed wires from the bike.
The dim filament or constant running wire will go to the other feed wire from the bike.
The brakelight wire will get connected in series with the switch legs from the brake switches. If you can wait a minute, I'll make a paint thingy...hold on...;)

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Use a 12 volt battery to test and see which is the common wire. It will be the unused one when you get both filaments to light up by connecting the battery to the two other wires.
Then the two connections to your bike will be to the common wire and the other one you can choose after testing both of them. One will be brighter than the other. Pick a brightness. good luck

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Lets see if this works...

__hr_brakelight.jpg

:eek:

Works for me...what about y'all? :scream:

rvguy

May 31, 2002
Shortly after figuring out how it worked, I realized that this switch doesn't even fit my bike. The Kawi dealer said it fits, the directions say up to '97. (This switch is the one featured on Just KDX in the FRP section.)

The directions state that '95 to '97 already has the mounting bracket on it. Does anyone know if the brake pedal assembly is different between the '97 and the '01?

Top Bottom