brakes improvements

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I think a braided front hose could be a big improvement for a older kdx. my 96 front is a bit spoongy.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Make certain there is no air in your existing system and replace the brake fluid with a quality product such as Motul 600. Old fluid and a little bit of air is all it takes to make the brakes feel mushy. If you are sure there is no air in there, try a braided stainless steel hose and new pads.

FWIW, some KDX's seem prone to getting air into the hose and it can be impossible to get the air out with conventinoal bleeding techniques. Try removing the caliper, hose and master cylinder from the bike and hanging it straight on a wall so that air doesn't get trapped in the curve of the hose.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
The best thing that I have found is a Vacuum Pump from the auto store. It is designed for bleeding brakes, works great.

:yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
for me it was pushing it up from the bottom.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
speaking of brakes!!!!...holy crap have i had a time with my front brakes...new master cylinder kit....bleed, and bleed, and bleed, still can't get brakes to work....piston will move, so i guess it still works...btw: had no brake when i bought it...master cylinder rusted to hell...i'm thinking about the putting them on the wall trick or the vacuum pump...any other suggestions...?

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
There are some simple things you can do to any bike with dual disc brakes.

First off install new slide pins for the pads. The stock ones get grooves cut in them and the pads will not slide freely as required. Also install new DOT 4 fluid after flushing both the front and rear systems.

Second, install some new pads. Get some upgraded compounds like the Braking C44 units. Semi/Ceramics. they work really well for me! Only bad thing is that when hot, then can make a bit of noise. But the improved braking is worth that to me. the rear is the worst.

Third install new brake lines. The SS units will resist expansion more than rubber to give you a better, firmer feel.

Lastly, adjust the front brake lever and inpsect the rear pedal. If you have to much slack before you start moving the MC piston, you are going to have to really grab to start braking. not fun! The front is really easy. For the rear inspect the pivot point and the hole for where the bolt mounts to the MC plunger arm. That hole will elongate and thus give you a lot of slack in the pedal without any movement of the MC! The KDX bikes usually have steel rear brake pedals, so they are easy to weld and redrill the hole. Just did that to mine and made a huge difference!

Other than that, replace any parts as needed like the levers and seals. Be sure the disc are in good working order and do not need replaced. If you need new ones, check with http://www.rockymountainmc.com for some Titax brand units. they are $50 a wheel brand new.

Hope that helps you

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…