CheapJeepGuy

Aug 14, 2004
Hey, i just bought my first dirt bike the other day and new to the site, i have a 98 yamaha yz 125, well, i was riding it around the woods near my house, and i stalled it, i went to start it up again, and kicked the starter, and it broke off... the assembly broke where the splined part sticks out of the case and the actual starter rod thing connects to, I told my friend and he said that he never heard of that ever happening and that its rare. I was just wondering what all i have to do to fix it, i know i have to take the case apart to get to it. Any special tools i would need??? I looked thru the manual so i know the jist of it, but i was wondering if i could leave the engine on the bike. Sorry if i sound like an idiot right now, but i'm such a newbie and i'm learnin, heh, TIA
-Danny

yamahonky

Jul 2, 2004
I did the same thing a couple weeks ago on my 490! I don't know if you have to take the cluch off on your bike, on mine you do though.First,drain you trans oil, take of the side cover, then the clutch plates and basket, unhook the spring on the shaft and pull it out. It is simple if you read the manual and take your time. I got a new shaft from my yamaha dealer, it was 70 bucks :| When you go to start your bike, find compression and then PUSH the starter down quickly. don't jump on it! you can leave the motor in the bike, you will need a big socket for the clutch basket if you have to take it off. for loosening the clutch basket, put it in top gear and have someone hold the back brake on for you. while you are waiting for the part, just roll your bike down a hill, put in second gear, and pop the clutch, it will start right up, just don't kill it on flat ground...Good luck on getting it fixed, yamahonky

gowen

Aug 2, 2000
Wow! That is wierd, I had an '86 yz250 for almost 10 years and never had issues with that! Are you saying the actual spline shaft broke? Are you sure the kick starter arm did not break? It sounds aweful wierd as I've never heard of that.

CheapJeepGuy

Aug 14, 2004
i just started riding, but i go to capital forrest and rock candy mountain, they're both near Olympia, where do you ride at and where ya from??? i'm in lacey

Top Bottom