Build Your Own Jump? Lookin' For Ideas!

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
I'm looking for some ideas on some jumps people have made themselves. Any pics of the finished product and how you did it would be great!

Thanks
Ross

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
There are so many different types of jumps, it's hard to generalize anything. I've got photos of us riding at my practice track and a public riding facility, in my Myspace pics ( myspace.com/sosnovy )...you're welcome to browse through, might give you some ideas. As far as construction, alot depends on what equipment you have available.

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
Nice pics. I was just wondering how you constructed some of these jumps. I'd like to work on jumping, since I'm a beginner. Nothing big, but those tabletops in your pics look like a ton of fun!

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
Tabletops are probably the best way to start...no biggie, if ya' don't clear 'em. You can start out easy, landing on top and work up to landing on the downside....overshooting them can suck so do it incrementally.

On the track I built, I was severely limited on available space & material and had practically no terrain variances to work with. Most of my jumps are probably around a 45 to 60 degree angle, on the takeoff. I prefer distance, over height. Though it's eroded a bit over the years, my tabletop was 11 1/2 ft. tall and just over 73 feet, across the top. Be warned...building a tabletop, takes a LOT of dirt! I was lucky and had access to a crawler so I was able to compact it fairly well, as I built it. I roughed-out the jumps and then made several practice runs with my bike, to tweak the angles and set the distances for whoops & doubles.

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008

Wow. I was definitely thinking much smaller than a 70+ft long tabletop. lol

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
haha that it does and the ground comes even faster

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
Believe me, I'd love to. But what I mean by smaller is something homemade that we can stick in a car and take to the riding spot, then ride there. Like a small kicker.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
We used to do it by handing a couple shovels to our friends and just started digging. Tweaking it as we went. Seems times have changed a bit, lol.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
rossim22 said:
Believe me, I'd love to. But what I mean by smaller is something homemade that we can stick in a car and take to the riding spot, then ride there. Like a small kicker.

That sounds more like a speed bump.......

A jump has a ramp that the entire bike will fit on. There should be a cuve to the start of the ramp, you don't want to run into a 45 degree angle. Note that in addition to any vertical force the ramp provides to the bike the bike will also provide a horizontal force to the ramp so the ramp has to be stable and not tip over.

A lot of people hurt themselves because they build an oversized speed bump, which then either flips them over the handlebars or the ramp collapses/tips from the side load.

Your best bet is to simply go to a track.

Rod

rossim22

Jul 19, 2008
I'm not going to drive a couple hours, to try to go over a jump for the FIRST time. That simply will not happen. I'm not saying I want to build a triangle shaped box and run over it.

I've built ramps for skimboarding, using pvc pipes and all that. Same concept. If it's a straight 45 degree angle ramp, you'll either fly forward, knock it over, or a combination of both.

I was just seeing if anybody else has done something similar and what materials they used and such.

kschilk

Jul 9, 2008
Krabill said:
We used to do it by handing a couple shovels to our friends and just started digging. Tweaking it as we went. Seems times have changed a bit, lol.

Nowadays......it'd be : :whoa: Shovel!?! Where's the joystick?!!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…