Status
Not open for further replies.

Py90

Apr 26, 2009
Hey guys,
Im new here at the forums ;) and im considering building a bike as i dont have the cash to buy one .., I have no experience with the mechanics of bikes and the nearest track is like an hour away and i have no way to get there :/.
If i did decide to build any help/guidance would be great and my dad can help too as hes a mechanic :) .
What would you guys say buy a new bike or build my own/repair a screwed one :)?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Buy the best running bike you can afford.

If buying parts and assembling them into a bike were cheaper than buying completed new bikes many of us would probably already be doing it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How much would you plan to spend building a bike?

Dec 31, 2008
Papakeith said:
Buy the best running bike you can afford.

If buying parts and assembling them into a bike were cheaper than buying completed new bikes many of us would probably already be doing it.

yup, most likely that used bike you buy from someone that "runs great" will have problems with it. so you will most likely have to do some repairs anyways. having a dad to help thats a mechanic is a plus

Py90

Apr 26, 2009
Thanks for the advice guys, I'd probably have around £400-£600 to spend.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So you need to decide do I spend that amount to get a bike that needs work NOW or do I get aggressive and save my money for the next6-12 months a get something better? You will quickly find out that a cheap bike is anything but cheap to get to a state you are ahppy with. Sometimes things are worth the wait.

Py90

Apr 26, 2009
Patman said:
So you need to decide do I spend that amount to get a bike that needs work NOW or do I get aggressive and save my money for the next6-12 months a get something better? You will quickly find out that a cheap bike is anything but cheap to get to a state you are ahppy with. Sometimes things are worth the wait.
Too true.. sometimes things are worth the wait.
But im an impatient 14 year old :D and i still have the problem of finding somewhere to ride..

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Soooo, while you wait to find someplace to ride, continue saving your pennies(pence?) so you can get something you'll be happy with. Not just something that will suffice :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
First thing you need to realize is that there are A LOT of previous "impatient 14 year olds" on this site and we're here to help you learn from our less than correct choices. As PK has pointed out if you are currently lacking in a place to ride there really is not much point in getting a bike that will just sit. Is that a tough thing to do? For sure! But be smart and end up happier in the long run. I see you fly the UK flag, I would really suggest you look at trials riding if you are in the UK. It might not seem as fun as MX at this point in time but it is a heck of a lot more benificial and insanely fun plus it will help you learn to take things a little more methodically. Look up Dougie Lampkin or even David Knight and get back to me if you question how "cool" trials can be.

Py90

Apr 26, 2009
My friend is also getting a bike now as i persuaded him :) ,
And up by his house theres like woods/forests and fields sounds good to ride through.
Only problem is its not his land and people who just dont like teenagers will ring the police.. and then the fun starts when we get to ride away :D

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
maybe, just maybe they like teenagers, but don't suffer trespassers very well.
This one is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom