Buying 99' rm 80??

358racer

Sep 21, 2002
I own a 1991 Kx 80 and I do well in races with it but i Realize that its is holding me down compared to 2002's. I went to the local shop and saw a 1999 RM80 for 1400$ If you have any idea about how good an Rm80 is?? How would it compare to my kx80 ?? :worship: :worship: Thanks!! RJ

ewbish

Feb 3, 2002
I think you will be surprised by the motor on that bike. The RM 80's have incredible engines. Also, from '96 to '01 the RM 80 is "Bold New Graphics". The acceleration and beefy powerband will simply amaze you after riding that '91 KX, especially if that RM has a fresh top end. The engine was way ahead of its time-case reed, flatside carb, exhaust powervalve. The rear suspension is nice, fully rebound/compression adjustable, but the forks are a little outdated, being unadjustable and the old type. I don't think the RM80 had USD forks until '02. It does handle well, and seems to soak up bumps fine, just be aware you will have to dial it in with oil weight/level or new springs. I recently got my son a '96 and it is identical to a friend of ours' 2000 except for the plastic and graphics.

Eric

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…