Buying Advice for a CR125R

SteveTroi

Dec 6, 2006
Hi all,

My son is preparing for a move up from his YZ85 to a 125. After comparing the manufacturers offerings and considering things like seat height, dependability, plastics configs, and general availability on the used market; he's decided on a CR, probably 2002 or newer.

I'm curious if anyone can lend any advice specific to a CR125 when looking over used bikes? Where are these bikes prone to have problems? We're OK to check out all the basic stuff: overall care of bike, engine sucking air/racing, wheel,swingarm,headset bearings, bent rims, loose spokes, leaky/broken radiators, engine compression, kick starter stripped, tires, viewable frame cracks, leaky fork or shock seals, etc.

Are there areas in the frame that should be specifically looked at?, power valve mis-behavior? anything else?

Also, what is the proper compression range for this size bike? I've always heard 125+/- thrown around but I've never been sure.

Thanks for any advice you can lend.

Backslayer

Go Big or Go Home
~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2007
I own a 98, I bought this cause its the first year of an aluminum frame, anyway I would personally take time to look at the air filter see if he lets you take it off and look in there lots of dirt behind the filter could say that they didn't clean the filter very good, cause with a pressure washer any used bike can look good but your on the right direction, of what to look out for, I haven't heard of any particular years that are bad, But why not a 4 stroke he will like it better

SteveTroi

Dec 6, 2006
My boys are true to 2-strokes, they like 'em better. With the changes in AMA race classes this year, the 2-strokes are in their own class and it's more fair now. Plus I like 2 strokes better since they cost less and I can do all then engine work myself. 4-strokes are nice, but very costly to buy and mod and harder to work yourself (I think)

Thanks for the input though. Definately the aluminum frame!

052zy40

May 14, 2006
nothing against the Honda Cr125. A great handling bike and well built,,,,but very slow!! My son has a 2004 yz125 and races. His best friend has a 05 cr125 and races same class. I have rode them both and the Honda is quite a bit under powered. If he was able to ride the yz85 well he will have npo problem with the 125. My son says the yz 85 was more wicked to ride and hang onto then his 125. Just my 2 cents worth.

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
i own a 97 cr125 and its a power house. as far as 125s go. all i have is a pro curcuit exhaust. the only prob i have had is a cracked radiator but that happened from a crash. i love my 125 and it sounds like your looking for the right things. i can keep up with my friends 06 cr250f on the track just to let you know the type of power a tuned cr125 can have. good luck

ben

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…