Buying first bike! Need Help!

joymarie627

Aug 31, 2008
Ok, ya'll know that I am new to all this so I have a few more question. I sat on a Suzuki 125 trail bike and I was flat footed on it. Then I sat on a KTM 125 and was on my tip toes. What's the difference in the bikes? Why is one a bigger bike than the other? Is it because ones a two stroke and one a four? I'm still trying to learn everything I can before I get my first bike. Thank you all for your help so far! The store where I sat on the KTM said that they have a Yamaha 125 two stroke coming in at the end of the week that is used. Said it would be around $2000. Would that be a good bike for me to go look at? I don't have any details on the bike. I work in EMS and got a call when he was telling me about it so I had to leave.

Apr 30, 2007
It would probably require that you change the exhaust system (here, someone with way more knowledge can step in please!) I know they aren't too cheap (cost a months' rent (around 300) if you live in a little cave like I do).

To a certain degree, almost any of the racing 4-strokes you look at will be pretty loud. Do a lot of other people commonly ride in the area where you do?

(here's another bike http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcy/812949974.html )

joymarie627

Aug 31, 2008

I don't have any friends that ride but there are a lot of tracks within an hour drive around me. Would a 125 2 stroke mx bike suit my size? 5'10", 120lbs?

Deadohiosky39

Jul 12, 2008
If you want a fourstroke then you shouldn't look at a two stroke unless it really isn't that important to you. If you find a bike with a stock exhaust then they really aren't too loud. And the reason the suzuki was short is because it was probably a trail bike. A 125 and 250 two stroke and a 250 and 450 fourstroke are all relatively the same size as long as you are talking about the race bikes. Its kind of deceiving how it works if you don't know much. A little rule of thumb is if it is a fourstroke and it has little horizontal lines on the engine where the pipe comes out means its a trail bike. I'm guessing the suzuki you looked at had them.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
joymarie627 said:
I don't have any friends that ride but there are a lot of tracks within an hour drive around me. Would a 125 2 stroke mx bike suit my size? 5'10", 120lbs?
Yes. It will feel very powerful at first. The 125 2 stroke is "peaky" power. When you first take off they aren't that powerful, but the power comes on quick in the midrange and pulls hard in the top end. The nice thing is that at your weight the bike will have a very easy time pulling you so you can use the bottom end to get used to it. If you plan to ride mostly mx the 125 2 stroke is the way to go. :cool:

joymarie627

Aug 31, 2008
Thanks Ya'll. I am meeting a guy half way to look at his 2000 yz 125 that has been bored out to a 209. He says that he only raced it a few times and most of the time he is riding it around on his farm. Said he's not had any problems with it. He is going to the navy and needs to sell it. Asking $1,000 but will probably take less.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Ok, I just went back and re-read the thread.

The difference in size of the 125s is becuse the suzuki is a trail bike and the ktm is an mx bike. The mx bike has long travel suspension to soak up the roughness of the track, where the trail bike has softer, shorter travel for slower speeds.

I would not try to mx with a trail bike. You will break or wear parts out quickly. The problem with buying a 250 four stroke mx bike in your price range is that they tend to need ALOT of work, if not immediately, in the near future. I would suggest trying to find a 2000+ year 125 2 stroke. The maintenance is less involved, though still frequent. The repair bills are generally smaller, as long as you do reasonable maintenance. The 2t will teach you how to use the clutch to go fast after you get comfortable, which is a good skill to have even on a four stroke.

Another thing to cosider is gear. Plan on 500 bucks for a helmet, goggles, boots, gloves and chest protector at least. You WILL crash. Dress for it and it won't be a big deal.

So, I guess I would say go find a 125 2t that appears clean and maintained for around 1500, then go get some spiffy new gear and hit the track!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I was skeptical when you posted about that YZ-250, that seemed like a lot of bike.

Like Joe said, an "off road" or "trail" model bike is built with a lower seat height. They don't have as much suspension travel and are typically heavier and will have lower performance engines. Great bikes to learn on, terrible bikes for the track. Examples of off road bikes are Yamaha TTR-230.

An "MX" bike is built for race and will usually leave off all the frills, like kickstands, headlights, electric starter, etc. They have high performance engines that typically require premium pump gas and if they have been modified they may require even higher octane racing gas. Yamaha YZ line are all "MX" bikes.

There are some bikes that have the performance and suspension of the MX bikes and have the frills, such as the Yamaha WR-450f or WR-250f. They are a bit heavier than the MX bikes but will hold their own on the track and when you want to stop along a trail you don't need to find a tree to lean the bike up against. Electric start is nice when you are tired and the stupid bike doesn't want to start back up after a fall.

I was thinking that a 125 two stroke would suit you well, although a 2 stroke is a bit harder to learn on than a four stroke would be. But a 125 two stroke that isn't too old can be picked up fairly cheap.

As for the YZ that has been bored out to 209: I would advise against it. I believe 125 will be powerful enough for you, especially as a beginner. If you plan on racing the 209 may bump you up a class so that you are racing against 250s.

If nothing else, ask the seller what the compression ratio is on that 209 and if it can run on pump gas or if you need to buy special racing gas for it.

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
I also have to agree with Rod, the 209 will probably require harder to find, and much more expensive set of parts when it comes time to do a top end rebuild, which happens about once a year for me (or more).

(These really aren't that scarey - if you get an owner's manual, it's very easy).

As Joe said, the 125 will be plenty of power for you even if it isn't bored out to a 209.

Another quick question that would help us help you, would be to know whether or not you have experience using a clutch? (I know you ride quads, but I don't know a whole lot about them at all).

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I did see that one as I was skimming through and didn't think it was a good choice for you. I've never even heard of a 209cc big bore. Seems excessive on a bike where 144 is about the biggest you see. Your best bet is to spend as much as you can afford and hold out till you find a really clean well kept bike. When it comes to used bikes alot of the time the price difference between a really clean bike and a spanked on one is just a few hundred bucks. Chances are a neglected bike will need twice that in repairs. Don't get too excited and buy the first bike you come across.

joymarie627

Aug 31, 2008
Thanks all! I had already talked myself out of the 125 bored to a 209. I am just going to spend the $100 it'll take to fix my other four-wheeler so me and my fiance can ride together and hope to make friends with someone who rides mx bikes and see if I can try theirs out and see if I really like it. Thanks again.

Nov 7, 2008
I started racing/riding on a YZ125 with no problems. I'm 5'8" so the height wasn't an issue for me. I had to switch to a CR250 because the YZ125 had trouble lugging around my big butt especially on the hills. My husband is taking me off the CR250 and is going to build me a KDX/KX 200 hybrid (picked up a KDX 200 this week for $900 and will start saving $ for a KX125 frame)for the track and desert. I really wanted a CRF250 like he rides but $$ is an issue. For under $2000 you can easily pick up a 125 or 250 2-stroke. If I was your weight the 125cc would've been fine for me. Most of the other gals I ride with are on 250F's but it's hard to find a decent one that has been taken care of for $2000. One of that really fast gals in this area is on a YZ125 and can kick most of the local guys butts :nod:

I currently race both 30+ Vet beginner and Women's.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I recently purchased by girlfriend a crf150r and she LOVES this bike. She is short 5'2" so you would probably need the big wheel "expert" version of this bike. She went from cr80 2 stroke to this bike. The 150r has a LOT of power for the bike. If you get a chance to check when out do it. Just make sure it's the 150r not the 150f their is a noticable difference.

Good luck!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…