Buying First Motorcycle advice - please

rho

May 6, 2002
I am fishing for my first off road dirt bike, actually first motorcycle. Now my questions...

Would a 1990 KDX200 be a good starter trail bike for me?

My specs below:
Weight = 210 lbs
Height = 6' 2"

Thanks,

Robert

Scottyx

Feb 21, 2002
perfect..any kdx would be a good buy..they are all reliable and good bikes to learn on. Look out for leaky shocks,air filter condition,brake disc wear,chain and sprockets condition,cracks on the motor casing,take it for a ride,it must feel smooth

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You bet. A perfect starter bike (if this was 1991).

Dirt bikes lead a hard life. It takes constant and consistent maintenance to keep them RUNNING, let alone running well. Beside the RUNNING part, the stuff that bounces up and down is beat to death on a regular basis.

That said, if this is your first entry into the sport, there isn't a whole lot of sense in spending thousands of dollars on something you might have no use for this fall (resale on dirt bikes = HA!).

Your best bet is to take a riding buddy with you to check out the bike. He'll know how to check the suspension, headset bearings, wheel bearings, AND all the stuff scottyx said.

You can't expect 'mint condition' to apply to something like a 12 year old dirt bike (well, unless you buy it from dan (acutemp on this forum) ), but it IS possible to buy something other than a complete POS.

Good Luck!

rho

May 6, 2002
Thanx

Thanks SX and CC, I'll be sure to look at those items you mentioned above. Since I am not spending a small fortune (~$800) I will not have to go over the bike with a fine tooth comb. I'll post more when and if I do pick up the bike this week.

Thanks again,

Robert

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
i agree too the kdx is a blast ,good choice.some guys here have beautiful 90-93 bikes so no prob.cc has a good point though ....that's why i stuck to a newer model than that a 99 but i've seen yr old bikes look 10 yrs old too good luck

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Gooby. What's up? Where has everybody been hiding?

You can definitely find good pre-95 bikes out there, but take a buddy with you who knows what to look for. I have a 93 that I'm looking to sell also that needs a couple of seals, but overall the bike is a monster and is in great condition. Looks like it could be just a few years old.

someday

Jul 10, 2000
Greg,
I thought your bike was sold... What do you want for it as is? I know a couple guys who could be interested.
Later, Jeff

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
I have an 89 KDX200, and it is pretty tough to beat for a starter rider, or even an experienced rider for that much. I have been beating the it for maybe 3 years, no matenance problems since then, and I got it for FREE! hehe, Only things I have done are add all new plastic (for looks ;) ), change oil, and lots of tubes and tires. Other than that, no real mechanical issues. I say, go for it! :p

Top Bottom