Cal Poly Penguins High Mtn. DS Run

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I had been in contact with the main organizer of the event, and he allowed me to join up with the club to mark the trail in preparation for the April 13th ride. I was anxious to go along not only to lend a helping hand, but for that rare opportunity to ride on private land, whoop-de-do free!

We were to meet at the club’s shed on campus. As my custom, wanting to honor my invite-tor, I show up a few minutes early. One-by-one the members with pickups, trailers, and bikes arrived; next thing you know there are 15+ riders – geesh! I was expecting no more than ½ -doz. All were friendly college-aged guys, fresh from spending way too much time out partying Friday night. And there I was, of the age to be their father and then some (uh, more, like a lot).

As before with this group it was difficult to ignore: nice bikes, some even with fat bars and stabilizers, but oh those bald tires! Such is the life of a college student.

Like a swarm of bees they scramble and we all head out of town, eventually forming two caravans: one with those who know where they are going, and me, not knowing up from down, hanging in with the second group. The drive up into the hills NE of San Luis Obispo was scenic and led into a remote ranch. Nice. The hills are grassy and the soil is starting to dry. Nice X2; let's ride.

The day’s leader calls a rider’s meeting, and the instructions were to follow him on which was the actual route, then he would signal the one immediate behind him to stop and point for the remainder of us following at the course’s directional changes; last guy thru was to raise a clenched fist. Easy enuf.

As we were waiting to go, a few of the guys commented on how clean my loaner bike was – mine was by far the third oldest in the group, though not far from the two XRs in attendance. Thing is, they just don’t seem to get around to washing theirs, that’s all. Most others had late-model CR, KX, RM, YZFs and WRFs (say mom and dad: can you send me some more cash? I need a new bike. You know, life here on campus is stressful…)

We didn’t get ¼ mile from camp when one took a fall onto the rocks on the side of a graded road. I believe it had to do with everyone trying to go too fast way too soon. I'm thinking: geesh, guys - this is a trail ride, course-marking party – not a race. Once he gathered himself, everyone sped off like it didn’t happen. Crazy, how these young folks are these days. I kept towards the back, not only because these guys were dangerously fast, but that’s just not my style. They must not realize their whole lives are in front of them.

This ranch (the Ryan Ranch) is a working-cattle grazing type. The terrain was typical central California coast, with oaks, scrubs, and some evergreens. We spent some time weaving in and out of the former, over rolling hills, down into some ravines and back up; some hill climbs too. Fun. The flowers were in full bloom. And did I say there were no whoops?

Speaking of whoops, the cattle seem to like to poop on the same trails we rode. Quite often too. That stuff is nasty! It flings, sticks and stinks one in the same (being the farm boy I am – mustn’t show my city culturing with such a comment; such a small price for the privilege.)

Just as I am wondering when we are going to start ribboning, one of the last trail obstacles was this rock step-up ledge. They all do moto-antics, while lowly ol’ me hits it off-camber and lays the bike over once clearing it – not a good example of trailsmanship.

At one regrouping spot I notice some steam coming from my loaner bike, and it looked like a coolant leak from one of the head nuts being backed out. The aforementioned wrecker and I headed back to camp to call it an early day.

There will be more marking next Saturday, and I hope to help man the BBQ on the day of the event (gotta be near the chow!)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Want some advice? Stay away from the BBQ - it's serious work and they ALWAYS run out of food. You don't want to work sign-in either - you think the Piglet/Boar was bad? You ain't seen nothing.....

Ryan's Ranch is awesome, wish I could make it. The other ranches are terrific and you'll get plenty of seat time in.

Brian

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
Want some advice?

I gladly accept advice. Thanks.

Thing is, one of my sons may be coming up for the w/e, so I want something for both of us to do. We certainly don't want to go hungry, though. Maybe a road crossing or checkin/checkout gate? I'll ask him to bring his helmet so we can have more options, and maybe our own meat if we have to work the BBQ; there's just something about playing with fire...caveman instincts?

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Stay far, far, far away from the black mud at Ryan's Ranch..... I saw a guy endo in of those holes one year. I would have made him ride in the back of the truck all the way home......

placelast - does your son need a loaner bike? I've got a KX500 calling his name :p

Brian

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Stay far, far, far away from the black mud at Ryan's Ranch..... I saw a guy endo in of those holes one year. I would have made him ride in the back of the truck all the way home......

placelast - does your son need a loaner bike? I've got a KX500 calling his name :p

Brian

Oh: silly me - I thought you guys ment the (cow) trail droppings. Must be something else, then - unique soil I take it? It's good they took it easy on the old man there last Saturday.

No - no killer bike, thank you - right color though. This is my middle son (16yo), who can barely handle a KDX; I've a line on one but due to other demands put it off 'til this summer, if at all - we'll see. I feel sorry for him since he's ridden once in the last three years, and wants to go along trail riding.

We will double up to get the spots we should be at, if the pickup can't make it.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by placelast

Oh: silly me - I thought you guys ment the (cow) trail droppings. Must be something else, then - unique soil I take it?

The sewer treatment ponds - er, I mean creeks.

Brian

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
The sewer treatment creeks.

Last time I did the Penguins ride I went home & put my XR in the garage. Next morning when I went out to clean everything up I had to open the garage door & let the garage air out for about 1/2 hour before I could go in & start washing my riding gear. One of the few time I have ever taken a dirt bike to a car wash.

During the ride there was a guy stuck in the lower creek right before the BBQ area. No one would help him. I almost did until I realized you couldn't even breath within 20 feet of the creek. Nnnnnasty.

Top Bottom