Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Who makes a better water-bag for the back? Ive been looking at them and wondered what all of you are useing! I do wear a chest protector if that matters.. and how do u guys wear them. I see they have back pack type straps but that looks uncomfortable while riding. I was thinking maybe i could drill holes in the back of my chest protector and zip tie the bag on... what do u guys think!! oh yeah, i dont need an expensive one, just one that works!! I dont race so what do u think?

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I wear a 32 oz. cammelbak with the pouch strapped onto the back of my chest protector. I found that it doesn't pull my chest protector down. Other people who've attatched the larger 70oz models to their chest protector have found that it weighed down their chest protector and that it wasn't comfortable.

You can find some cheap drink systems in the bike section of Wal-mart.

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
platypus

go with the platypus. they're extremely durable (have landed on mine several times), don't deform as much when full, have a very large size/shape catalogue, don't make the water taste wierd, and have a lifetime warranty. and they're cheaper.

i wear mine on the back, too. i go with the 72 oz. tall, narrow one. i spend $14 and includes the tube & nozzle. have a small pouch attached to the chest protector for short rides. have a full pack (snowboard pack!) with an integral pouch, for day rides. it's a good place to pack snacks, saw, rope, etc., that just won't fit in the butt-pack.

oh yea..., one more VERY IMPORTANT thing about platypus...; they don't give huge amounts of money to enviro-nazi groups (unlike some other water-bag manufacturers).

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
I really like the Thor Radiator 3. It has one strap around your waist and one around your chest. I wear it over my chest protector. I replaced the bladder with one from camel. It has a zippered pocket on the outside for small stuff. I can get cell phone, power bars, keys, maps and goggle cleaner rag in the pocket. The two straps hold the water pack tight against the chest protector. I think it adds to back protection, although I do wear a back protector under the chest protector. It cost $30. If you trail ride, its very nice to have water. The hose can be attached to a provided loop in the front which keeps it secure while riding.

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
i just got a new camelbak.its called the rogue.the thing i like about this model is the fill hole is big enough to fit your hand into and is sealed with a o ring.that makes cleaning a snap,and putting ice cubes inside is easy.the bite valve has a on/off valve in case it dont hold and fits over chest protector too.its in the parts unlimited cat.

Last edited:

sparkycr250

Feb 9, 2002
I've had a camelbak for two years. It's like 62oz. and it's alittle heavy but really handy on those 80+ races at 100 degrees..BUT I would never spend my hard earned money on another one knowing what I found out after I purchased it...They donate to the green peace guys if you know what I mean!:p

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
On a good ride I nearly empty my 100Oz. H.A.W.G (Camelbak) I love the thing! It's holds a lot of water and has tons of room for tools and such, you can even stuff a jacket in there. Yeah it might seem like overkill but I'd rather be over prepaired then not ready at all. The only thing is it might catch on some branchs... I also wear it over my AirFrame CP with no problems.

Lee W.

KTMNewbie

Sep 24, 2001
thor

I am a thor fan so I run a Radiator 3. I also wear it over my chest protector, and it fits fine. To me, the other ones are relitively weenie, and the Thor has a pouch to keep your essential tools, keys, phone, spark plug, etc. I would go with the Thor.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
<<Soapbox Rant Mode ON>>

DONT BUY A CAMELBAK !!! Unless you want to pad the pockets of a company that is trying to take away your riding areas. That's right Camelbak is (and has been for years) one of the largest contributors to the Sierra Club and you know what they do with that money. It seems almost like a conflist of interest. You sell your product to dirt bikers, mountain bikers, and hikers but funnel money into a "pro hiking only" group. I actually wrote a letter and m,ailed it to them and never got a response. To me that was an omission of guilt or at least showed me they didnt care what I thought.

<<Soapbox Rant Mode OFF>>

BTW ... I bought a "generic" hydration system at Target for $20.

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Well thanx very much fer your opions and comments and i wont buy a CamelBak if that is the case!!! Ill give my money to Thor i guess!!! They dont look to bad, and a great deal!!! But thanx again fer sending me in the right direction!!!:D

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
hmmmmmmmmmm,,,,, good Question!!Im not gonna give them tree huggin hippies any of my money,, that damn Sierra crap!!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Camelbak.....

..in addition to having questionable morals is pretty expensive to fix, parts wise. A bite valve at a local dealer is pretty spendy!

Of general interest, maybe. Getting the bladder into the pack when it's full is nearly impossible! I put a knee-high nylon around it..that helped a good bit.

Even on cold days, I sure appreciate my 50 oz'er. It's a backpack type. Fits over my fox air-flex just fine. Don't even know it's there.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Well if you guys are so anti Camelbak then go buy an SRC system. I highly doubt Mr. Summers has Camelbak make his unit:D I got my Camelbak because it was the best and I tend to be a little hard on my gear so I wanted something that would hold up. I also use it for BMX, MTB, Hiking and just about everything else I can think of.

Lee W.

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
HOOT!!

had to check in this evening to see how the chat was going. got a big chuckle out of speedy's last comments. LAUGHED OUT LOUD! YAHOO!!!

ME TOO, SPEEDY!!

BKWoosley

Nov 5, 2001
Diddo on the anti sierra club thing. The best way to combat the sierra club is to send them a dollar. It costs them a lot more than that to process that dollar. Next, find a local sierra club outfit. Get on their mailing list. They will mail you a list of politicians they support. That will tell you who not to vote for in your area, your state, and yes, nationally. :p

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Re: platypus

Originally posted by jimicarl
[B

oh yea..., one more VERY IMPORTANT thing about platypus...; they don't give huge amounts of money to enviro-nazi groups (unlike some other water-bag manufacturers). [/B]

Funny thing, I dont know if yall have these stores in your neck O da woods, but REI is a big tree hugger store, and they sell the platypus systems.

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
I think you guys should look more into the Camelbak situation.....The more I look and contacting Camelbak they support their product....TO WHOM they can sell it and yes they have advertised with the greenies and motorcyclist .....I found all this info a little disturbing too ....so I looked into it....go to the website......I support Camelbak because of their product....bought my HAWG 4 years ago so many crashes I cant remember (mountain bike and moto) and just started getting a few seam rips now....

Natester

Jun 24, 2001
Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't Shane Watts sponsored by CamelBack? How's that for irony?!!! I have the Camelback classic, which is pretty small and compact (on the warranty card, I mentioned that I bought it due to their sponsorship of Watts, but next time I'll get the SRC). BTW, do you guys attach them directly to your chest protector, or do you just back pack it over the chest pro?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom