KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
I have found a Cycra 2.9 for a 01 YZ 125. Will this fit on a 1998 YZ 125. I can't find anywhere that has these tanks. Does anyone know for sure if this tank will fit on my 1998 YZ 125?
-Thanks

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
Do you think this would last in a 2 hour hare scramble? For example, do you think it would last if I did a 8 mile hare scramble, and did 4 or 5 laps without refilling?

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
Very marginal. It would depend on the terrain and the soil. If it's tight and hard-packed, you can probably get away with it. If it's more open and/or sandy, probably not.

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
Thanks

Thanks for the reply Pat. Do you think it would be better waiting for a bigger tank or going to the pit stop and filling? I am an average/fast rider.
-Thanks

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
That's entirely up to you of course. Kinda depends on your competition I suppose. If you can still whup 'em while taking a pit stop then that's certainly the way to do it.

Your other choices are a 3.5 Cycra, a 3.2 (I think) Clarke, or the 3.7 IMS. I've never been all that impressed with the quality of the Cycra tanks. A friend of mine has the Clarke and hasn't had any problems. I've run the 3.7 IMS on my last 3 bikes and haven't had any problems, though some people who ride my bike don't like it because they think it's too wide. Hasn't been an issue for me though, and I NEVER have to pit in any of the local cross-country races.

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
My competition is pretty much the same as me. I have seen the 3.7 IMS and 3.5 Cycra. I think those tanks are just to big for me. I am interested in the 3.2 and down. I don't want to make a pit stop if I don't have to because my competition will just go past me and make up time. Do think that the 3.2 Clarke tank is big enough for a race? What about the 3.0? I have to find one off of Ebay or off of a classified, because I just don't have the money for a new one.
-Thanks

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
Originally posted by KawiRider
How is the 3.5 Cycra? Is that big and bulky? Is it slim?
-Thanks

Pretty slim but very tall. Think of a tepee in front of you while you ride. If memory serves I think they only use one tank mounting point the other mount being the radiator mount.

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
the cycra 2.9 is what i bout on ebay for 56 bucks including shipping and it wsa worth it. the tank is nice and smlim and doesnt carry the load to high and also allows enough foom for plug clearance to get it out. the onlything i didnt like was the way it distorts the seat horribly. it really gives the seat a bad angle.:silly:

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
How about this?

I have found a Cycra 3 gallon tank. How is this tank? Would this last a whole hare scramble? The type of hare scrambles are South Jersey sand courses, some rocky courses in PA also. I am going to use this tank in the E.C.E.A. runs. Do you think it has a good chance of lasting the whole length of the race?
-Thanks

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
hey kawi rider if your looking for a tank im selling mine. its a 2.9 cycra tank. i can email you some pics. i have a seat cover and shrouds with graphics that ill sell with the tank.im selling the tank with the shrouds and the graphic seat cover combo for 200. if your interested then let me know.:silly:

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
ive riden with the clark tank before and i prefer the cycra. the only complaint i have is that the color doesnt matcht he shrouds. but it makes no difference once you put the graphics on. the cycra holds the load really low so the bike isnt top heavy. theplug access is wonderful. the tank also isnt any wider than the stock tank which is awesome. i was very pleased with the fit/finish of the tank such as the nuts that were cast into the tank. they are 8 point instead of 6 like the stock tank this is so the bolt doesnt spin inside the mounting hole. this is what happenend to my stock tank on three bolts. frankly thios sucks. this is why i bought the oversized tank. but now im selling the bike and people are going to buy a bike with an enduro tank because it limits the possibilities of what they can use the bike for. this is why i bought a used stock tank. this is why im selling my tank. if you want it make an offer. otherwise it will be up on ebay in a couple of days.:silly:

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I ran the Cycra 2.9 tank on my 98 YZ125 and could not make a 2 hour race on it. I ran out on the last lap at a Mid-South while leading 200A:eek: . Plus I had problems with the gas cap, it would not come off, you would have to use a pliers sometimes to get it off. Cycra said it was a problem on some if the early tanks. Cycra did fix this and sent me a new one, but I was without a tank for a couple of races. With the Cycra tank you can not run radiator guards (the Works Connection ones) so that is something to think about too. I finally switched to to the Clarke and could make the full two hours, just that extra .2 helped out, I would be very low but never ran out. Plus I could run the radiator guards with the Clarke tanks. I ran the Clarke tank on all my Yamahas unitl I switched to KTMs.
A friend ran the IMS tank and on the 125 he had to indent the tank where the pipe was so that the pipe didn't hit the tank. It still didn't fit very well on the 125 and I wouldn't recommend it for the 125, plus as other people said it only used one bolt to hold the tank on, and you also could not run raditor guards (works connection) with the IMS tank.

So my vote is find a Clarke.

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
the cap problem you speak of is only on the early tanks. mine has no problem. the cap that is on there now is kinda tight because it was new. it is starting to get easier to get on and off. i had a hard time getting it on the first time tho

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
Clarke 3.0

I was looking at a Clarke 3.0 tank. It is for a 1996-2001 YZ 250. Will this fit on my 1998 YZ 125? Will this last a whole 2 hour hare scrambles?
-Thanks

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
yes it will last but im not sure it will fit. i wanted to buy a 3.5 ims tank from this guy on ebay and he was like im sorry but it wont fit. i too have a 98 yz 125;)

Top Bottom