can adding a spark arrester add more bottom power?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi,
i was on the kdx forum the other day, asking about why a kdx feels electric and has such great bottom power as opposed to a kx. someone said that one reason is it's restrictive exaust.
So i was thinking,, would adding a spark arrester silencer give better low rpm power to a mx bike?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I don't think it affects two stroke motors like it does a four stroke. The KDX has a different carb then the KX I believe and is setup for lower end stuff, trails and such verses KX for MX. The expansion chamber on the 2 stroke denotes power, low mid high etc... from what I know, which may not be that much.;)

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Porting, Pipe Design, Carb. Size, and many other factors effect the power too.

RGalesi

Aug 19, 2002
The electric-engine fell of the KDX is coming also from the heavier flywheel. But the more restrictive silencer will help in that direction, since will slow the flow of gas coming out of the cylinder.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
On my stock CR250, if I go from the stock MX silencer to the FMF ISDE SA silencer, it picks up revs a little slower. It gives the feeling of more bottom-end torque. Whether or not there is a power difference, I don't know. But the power delivery is changed enough that I would use the SA silencer for off-road even if it wasn't required.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…