Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi,, i have a 89 yz 125, and i feel like the carb doesnt fit all the way into the airbox like it should.. do airboxes shrink over time. especially the airbox boot?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
They can indeed. On my 92, I made a small, 1/4 to 3/8 inch spacer to go between the reed cage and cylinder. Cheap insurance against pulling dirt, etc., into the cylinder.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
yea, i got a reed spacer also from moose to help my carb fit back up into my airbox better, and it still needs to go in more. maybe i should order a new airbox/boot...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Those spacers will also give you a little more low end power. Just a bonus! ;)

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Is this caused by washing the bike with hot water?

Seriously, I had to re-position the sirbox in my 1997 YZ to avoid this.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
The new airboot will most likely be pretty expensive (mine cost $100 WITH a discount). Some other options to lengthen the track: Take apart the boot between the actual air box and rubber boot and add a spacer there, OR mount the rubber boot to the outside of the box (good for about 1\8 to 1\4 inch more space), but make sure and seal it extremely well. The reed spacer is most likely the quickest, easiest way to obtain up to 1\2 an inch or more of space to work with. The moose spacer that my friend uses adds about 1\2 inch and was just the ticket for his 92 yamaha. Once again, seal everthing well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom