Can we put Jetting theory into audible practice?

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
This could become an awesome way to help novice tuners to jet their bike properly by sound/feel once they've read the various jetting guides... or it may not work at all?! :whoa:

But what do you guys think of typing in the right/wrong sounds to listen for to match lean/rich jetting? Know what I mean?

For example My old 02 RM250 was really fussy about needle position. one step too rich (moving clip down one notch)would take it from waaaaaaaaaaaa (good sound) to bagadagabagbaaagblaaaap! (too rich) ha ha.... man, I'm laughing while I type!! :laugh:

Also my 06 KX250 can get a little "surgy" on contant throttle if the needle is too lean.. sort of a DING da ding ding DING etc etc...

Can you guys think of a good / bad noise to describe pilot jet problems? Or the needle?

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I'm not sure how to put in writing but the uneven and sloppy idle sound bikes have is one thing to look for with too big of a pilot jet. The sound of the idle once you have the right one is steady and crisp.

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Cool... see what I mean there's practical advice that you need to jet your bike properly in conjunction with Spanky's and such like.

more more more....... :nod:

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Spent a good part of today's ride re-checking the jetting on the KX today. I did the 1/8 1/4 1/2 full throttle plug chops and they worked beautifully. I also heard a distinct change in the engines sound as we corrected the rich (pilot jet) circuit.

The rich part of the throttle action has a definite "O" sound as in "Oh I see..." where as the properly jetted circuit had a real "A" sound as in "Aim first shoot second"

So for all you newby jetters - remember your Sesame Street lessons and enunciate! Ha ha... :laugh:

The combination of plug reading and exhaust sound will get you there!

Top Bottom