Ant 921

Mar 11, 2007
Hello, I am wondering why I am having trouble jumping my CR250 but I did not have trouble jumping my yz250F? I think it's because I'm nervous of the powerband hitting in right when I am about to take off the jump and go to fast and crash basically. I sold my yz250F do to maitence issues that i did not have money/time to fix/didn't know how too. So i bought a 2stroke which i know how to fix and maintain. I am just having alot of trouble jumping it, i know their excellent jumpers but not for me. With my yz250f i could jump everything and anything basically.

So basically how do i correct thsi on a 2stroke? Where should i be at on the throttle when i take off? I am talking about like 15-20 foot gaps and table tops. What gear should i be in?

It's not because the bike has to much power ive had it for around a year and a half and love to do harescrambles on it with friends just cant seem to jump it worth crap.

I am 185 lbs 6'1 if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks

mex_ros

Aug 2, 2006
The first thing you should do is to check the sag of the bike,
the most important thing is to adjust the suspension and then you can start playing with the clickers.
The 2-stroke is easy for jumps. Use the clutch properly, have the right body stance and gas it!
As for the gear it depends on the jump...usually the 3d gear works for me

Ant 921

Mar 11, 2007
Damn i was trying to jump it in first like my YZ250F. Thrid gear on my cr250 is fast for me to go at a jump. i'm kind of new i guess but i did jump alot on the 250F. Nothing huge but big enough.

Maybe jumping isn't for me but ill look into what you said and ill try again.

Thanks

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
15-20 feet on a 250 2-stroke is a first or second gear jump. You can do it in third, but with very little throttle, half throttle in 2nd will easily clear 20. I have accidentally cleared 35 in 2nd, but I usually prefer 3rd for those jumps. This way the power delivery isn't as aggressive. Try to get up to speed early and be steady on the throttle all the way up the face.

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
just keep the bike in the powerband so the wheel isnt spinning too fast wich will cause you to go straight up, if not enough power you will nose dive. its an easy balance.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
CRazy250 said:
just keep the bike in the powerband so the wheel isnt spinning too fast wich will cause you to go straight up, if not enough power you will nose dive. its an easy balance.
Huh? So if I am riding fast enough to clear a small jump, but in 5th gear (well below the power band) I can expect to nose dive? I think you are incorrect, the nosedive is more likely caused by slowing down abruptly on the face or an incorrect suspension setup (perhaps too little rebound in the forks).

I don't know what you are talking about with the powerband, if you are in the meat of the band (making maximum power) then you are either accelerating hard, spinning the tires, or both. In higher gears, there is less torque being applied to the wheel at a given speed, resulting in less wheelspin, but slower acceleration. You will, however have a more balanced flight since the suspension is in a more neutral state on takeoff.

Better riders have no problem jumping while accelerating hard, they are better at manipulating the atitude of the bike in the air. For an inexperienced jumper (one having difficulty with 15-20 foot gaps, such as the OP), the steady speed, stable approach is a far better/safer way to go.

CRazy250

May 28, 2006
it always works for me jumping while the bike is in the power band, im not saying to jump in 5th gear but in 2nd and 3rd gear. if i over power the bike it wants to launch straight up, if i dont keep it in the powerband it nose dives..... it makes perfect sense to me. at the speeds you are saying like 5th gear you will just fly over the jump with no problem but what i explained at lower speeds like 2nd and 3rd is true.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
For the 20 to 35 footers I use a tourqed 3rd gear some where in the nieborhood of half and then some, I don't like jumping while in the band mainly because the back end likes to shoot to one side or the other worse of the peak than if you tourq it, a 2t 250 has the tourq you just got to play around with it. I've got my gearing to where I only use 1st gear to put around in. 3rd gear on a 2502t is a highly used gear, to clear a 50' table I just have to give it more throttle in 3rd.

Ant 921

Mar 11, 2007
Well the jump that i jump isn't at a track, it's on a property i ride at but over the years people have made it into a table top and another one that is a gap. The only that is a table top is about 20 feet and i want to start jumping it again. When i first got my 250 i jumped it and over shot it by like 5 feet but i was only in 1st right after the powerband where i should of shifted but i was in the air lol. Anyways i crashed and messed up my knee good.

The problem with the jump is you go around a burm(sp) and maybe have about 30-40 feet to get up to speed. So i would really have to gun the **** out of it to get into thrid.

Ill try it in second also im not very comfortable with standing up and jumping, i jump the wrong way sitting down kind of? Maybe 1-2 inches above the seat. Im just scared when im stand and hit the jump my hand might slip and gun the gas.

Thanks

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Once you get use to it you'll find that this can be made easy. I have one practicaly the same as your saying here at my track. I come off a strait into a tight left SX style corner, right after the corner about 30' away is a 3 foot tall natural table about 10 wide at the top. I enter the corner in 3rd using the front brakes to set me up for the corner, staying in 3rd gear using the clutch it grunts outa the corner picking up just enough to clear the table, right after the natural table their is a 30 foot double I'd say 40' away, staying in 3rd never getting into the band I clear it to with no probs.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
That is an interesting jump, if you are accelerating too hard , and need ot get into 3rd, learn to carry more speed through that corner. There is a track (that recently closed down) near me that had a 30 footer with a steep launch immediately after a sharp 90 degree turn. There was also a 40 footer in another section that was fairly near a decreasing radius 180. I had to learn how to hit both of these turns in 3rd before I could clear the jumps. The shorter jump was the hardest, since it was so close to the corner. I might have been able to do it in 2nd, but I believe that I would have been too deep into the power band and shot nose high. 3rd allowed me to clutch it hard out of the corner and just make the jump. I did case it a couple of times.

If you are falling back, then you need to work on holding the bike with your knees and using your abs to maintain position. I think that we have all had the same problem, especially when landing under moderate power. The surge tries to pull the bike out from under you, which makes it worse if you don't release the throttle. It's another advantage of jumping in a higher gear, less of a surge when you land under power.

Oh, and if you are trying to sit and jump, then you may be in for a real ride, you really need to get off of that seat.

NJGregsCR

Feb 25, 2007
SQUIRLEYMOFO said:
Practice! that being said I'm not much of a jumper myself. Getting too old, it takes longer to heal.

I hear that Squirley!! I just turned 46 and my wife reminds me of it every time we head into the woods. I used to love to jump small hills, and now I'm going to have to relearn all the basics, but I do remember that standing while jumping is a real benefit!

regards,
Greg

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Ride the 250T like you rode your 250F. Do yourself a favor and forget you have a 1st gear. For now don't worry about being in the band... let this happen naturaly with experience. The bike won't nose on a jump should you be applying even throttle off the face at a gear higher than what you really need. The bike won't stand leaving the face with even throttle should you be in a gear higher than required.

A "gear higher than require" is one where your R's are 6000 or lower... you have the power in these lower rpm's to play in a higher "safer" gear. Thus, ride it like your old 250F as the 250T will do everything your were use to without being in the volitile zone. As you get better with throttle control bike response then the fun begins... gotta get to that point gradually and on your terms.

ps... I'm 225#'s KX250 14/49 sprockets and at 25-30' I'm mid 3rd somewhat coasting with the throttle at 6-7000r's... could do it in 2nd but I'm not quick enough to tap the rear brake and shift to thrid in the air... don't make it complicated be safe and learn first.

Good Luck...

Top Bottom