Can't pull a wheelie in 1st gear...engine/carb

lcwarnke

Jul 14, 2002
OK, all I can say is that this forum has helped me learn alot, even if I still haven't fixed all my problems.

First, my old 90 RM250 could pull the front end up in 4 of the 5 gears. My 99 KX250 simply has no snap in the bottom end. So far I know it's running a little too rich by the looks of the plug and the oil coming out the exhaust. I've backed out the a/f screw a from the stock settings. In the carb, the needle clip was on the 2nd position from the top. Stock is the 4th position, and FMF suggests the 3rd clip position an noted that it is the stock needle. I reset the clip to the 3rd position, but no change in the performance. I'm unsure on the jet size to know if it has been modified.

I did a compression check and it checks out at 210 psi. I'm no carb expert, first time tearing a carb apart just to see the clip position. What else shall I do to tune the carb. Yes, I read Eric's carb tuning, but I ride in the woods and his methods are more for tuning at a trackl.

If I'm putzing around at 5 mph or 10 mph, by popping the throttle I should get the nose to come up easily, right? I'm running a 50 tooth rear sprocket as well.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Check your clutch. slippage there will cause your low end problems.

My .02
Phillip

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
sounds like a clutch......I am in the middle of replacing mine, does it rev up real high? does the bike accelerate good? My clutch was slipping but would still wheelie, so it is possible it is something else, but pull the plates out and check them out, odds are they need replace anyway!.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Seems like I've been saying this alot lately: Make sure your power valves are not stuck open. This would kill your bottom end in every gear, but your top end would still be fine.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
yea, could the power valve lever be broke? also, dont forget to clean out the choke on your carb and repack silencer.

lcwarnke

Jul 14, 2002
I don't think it's the clutch. The motor seems to rev fine. I need to check the power valve, never done that before, but good time to learn. As far as the silencer, it is brand new. Thanks for the ideas.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…