Can't set sag anymore

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
I replaced all of the bearings, sleeves etc on my bike. I also replaced the shock spring from a 5.0 to a 5.2 to see if that might give me some better bottoming resistance.

I wasn't able to get the sag past 70mm. So I put the old 5.0 back on and I can't get the sag past 70mm with that one either.

When I push down on the seat I can see the rocker arm rotating at all 3 ends and the swingarm rotating where it connects to the frame. The only part that isn't moving is where the linkage rods connect to the swingarm.

So I disconnected the rods from the swingarm and was able to rotate the bearings. I inserted the sleeve and was able to rotate the sleeve.

I'm measuring the sag by first balancing the bike without a stand or rider and measuring from a point on the swingarm above the axle to a point on the fender directly above.

Then I get on the bike standing on the pegs and have my friend measure between the same points again. I subtract the two to get the sag. When I loosen the preload on the spring by spinning the nut up, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Where did I go wrong?! :think

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
More info...

I think it's worth mentioning that I had a pretty hard wreck on the bike before I rebuilt it so it's possible that the problem is from the wreck - rather than my rebuild.

jzyz

Jun 28, 2001
The bike should be on a bike stand with the rear suspention completely unsprung.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
Are you sure that the shock shaft isn't bent? Can you get the shock to travel past 70mm of sag?

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Do what jzyz says. You are measuring the sag wrong. The first measurement is done with the bike on a stand and the suspension totally extended.

Hope this helps.

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
Doh!

I was so sure I was doing it right. Thanks for straightening me out!

mxneagle: When I push down on the bike, it compresses past the 70mm. It's not like it hits a wall. Everything works as expected when I use the correct reference measurement.

So now that I can proceed: I'm wondering, if I replace my 5.0 kg spring with the 5.2 -

. will it give me better bottoming resistance?

. how will it affect the initial stroke?

. should I expect to decrease my slow or fast compression damping, or increase my rebound damping?

Thanks for the help! Mark :)

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
a stiffer spring will give better bottoming resistance. it will increase the rebound force, so expect to increase reb. damp.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…