zeerx

Jan 25, 2003
The last couple of rides I noticed that the 220 was starting to bog and had no response to small throttle openings. I just installed an FMF pipe and silencer. I figured the pipe was doing it. I read every post I could find on carb tuning and figured I had a rich condition. Something else...I could not raise the idle, either with the idle speed screw or the mixture screw. Many here seem to have the same problem. Pulled the carb and checked the jets (145/42).
Found that the pilot jet was completely clogged. I gave everything a good cleaning and got it back in the bike. The plug was showing very black so I dropped the needle one setting. I'll be starting it again in a few days after I get the rest of the bike together.
The point: before you do any rejetting, make sure the jets you have are clear.

Note: take out the idle adjust screw and clean off all the crap thats on the threads. Looks like some kind of thread locker. It's impossible to turn the screw with your fingers with that stuff on it. Also, find a long screw that fits the hole and cut a slot length-wise down the threads with a hack saw. Use the screw to chase the threads on the carb body. Use a dab of Hylomar to lube the threads on the idle screw and reinstall. It's now adjustable with your fingers for quick adjustments on the trail.

back soon with results.

RS

zeerx

Jan 25, 2003
zeerx said:
The last couple of rides I noticed that the 220 was starting to bog and had no response to small throttle openings. I just installed an FMF pipe and silencer. I figured the pipe was doing it. I read every post I could find on carb tuning and figured I had a rich condition. Something else...I could not raise the idle, either with the idle speed screw or the mixture screw. Many here seem to have the same problem. Pulled the carb and checked the jets (145/42).
Found that the pilot jet was completely clogged. I gave everything a good cleaning and got it back in the bike. The plug was showing very black so I dropped the needle one setting. I'll be starting it again in a few days after I get the rest of the bike together.
The point: before you do any rejetting, make sure the jets you have are clear.

Note: take out the idle adjust screw and clean off all the crap thats on the threads. Looks like some kind of thread locker. It's impossible to turn the screw with your fingers with that stuff on it. Also, find a long screw that fits the hole and cut a slot length-wise down the threads with a hack saw. Use the screw to chase the threads on the carb body. Use a dab of Hylomar to lube the threads on the idle screw and reinstall. It's now adjustable with your fingers for quick adjustments on the trail.

back soon with results.

RS
Got it all together this afternoon and restarted. Carb is now adjustable and is running smoothly. VERY crisp off the bottom. I'm puting the rejetting on hold until I can give it a good thrashing in a week or so.
rs

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom