Zuk Rider

May 9, 2006
I have a question on my 1981 XL185. The bike had been sitting for about 2 years without running and I recently took it out and it wasnt running its best. So I decided to clean the carb out. I found so much crap sitting in the bowl and I took it all apart and cleaned it really well. I also drained out the old fuel and found a bunch of crap in the tank. After all the cleaning put fresh premium in the tank and put the carb back in. Started it up and now it runs really ****ty. When I first start it, it will run for a while then just die. When I give it throttle it just boggs? I put everything in the carb back together correctly I think (Very carefully took it apart and remember where everything went) Im just curious what I should do clean this up? Float level out of adjustment? Maybe still some crap stuck in carb? Some info would really help!
Thanks

454sss

Oct 12, 2007
It could hae nothing to do with your carb. I recently got an 83 xl185, cleaned it all up and got it running, and it does the same thing. It looked like it was getting fuel fine, so after checking a few things, i pulled the spark plug and it was oily wet with oil. too wet, and it was most likely killing the spark.

I pulled the valve cover on it moments ago, and one side with one valve was dry (intake), and the exhaust side had a puddle of oil sitting down with the valve. I would think that with all the oil sitting there, that some of it would make its way back into the cylinder essentially killing the spark on the spark plug. not sure why the oil is there, of it its normal...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Zuk Rider said:
Maybe still some crap stuck in carb? Some info would really help!
Thanks

That would be my guess. Disassemble the carb again and remove the pilot jet. Make sure you can see through the pilot jet orifice and make sure the pilot-air orifices are all clean.

Top Bottom