true2blue92

May 24, 2007
Well I got 1984 Honda XR100 all back together and got everything working. For some reason though the bike will only start if I remove the tube to the air filter and spray some gas in the carb. Then it runs fine. If I start it connected to the air filter with the choke on it starts right up but then dies, even if I turn the choke off. I really dont know what the problem is. Im pretty sure it has something to do with the carburetor. Any ideas?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
There are so many things that can make a bike hard to start. Could be that you have a valve issue, sticking float in the carb, bad compression.

You need a manual. Get the compression checked. Could be bad rings.

I'm bettin the valves are way out of adjustment though.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
...yeah, we dont konw what all "...back together and working..." indicates.
BUT, if the bike is 'in good working order', then your primary symptom is that the engine is not receiving enuff fuel mixture.
those xr's are so reliable that they can be about to hand-grenade from wear, and yet still start and run durn good, so i would venture to say that your float-bowl jet is stopped up, providing that your gas IS turned on, right? <g>
If u know of another xr100 owner, swap carbs right quick and see if that is the prob right off.
Also:
1. if you pull it with a 4-wheeler/etc will it start that way?
2. loosen the float-bowl or fully remove it, then turn the fuel petcock on to see if fuel is even reaching the float bowl or not.
3. if it is, then check the float-bowl (buy some carb-cleaner or get some compressed air, and blow all of the carb orifices out (everywhere you see a hole). Wear GLASSES as most of these will spew carb cleaner right back at you if you dont get the spray-nozzle in the hole really tightly...
4. spend the $18 and buy Eric Gorr's motocross repair book, filled w/lots of clear pictures and clear directions on troubleshooting.

ttfn,
jks

true2blue92

May 24, 2007
IDK What hapened but now its running perfectly fine with no problems. I left my house for a few hours came back it started on the 2nd kick and was running fine...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom