Carb setup

buellman

Nov 19, 2004
I was wondering what every is running for carb settings for the western Ky area?
I got it setup for NE Nebraska and am bringing thr bike down to Clarksville with me to ride and need to know if I need to rejet it.
Altitude at NE is 1550 and here is 530 if that helps.

Thanks

03KDXHOPPER

Nov 23, 2004
Little Change...

For only a 1000 foot change in altitude, I think you'll only need to change your idle (air screw) setting. That is if you're not running rich or lean at wide open where you're riding now.

If you're looking to run perfect, you'll need to do a plug check in each stage of throttle. If you travel around often (esp changing altitude) I recommend getting 5 sizes higher, and 5 lower in your main jet. Also, get a jet tool if you don't have one. A dentist angle mirror will also help to put the new jet in. Another trick is to have someone hold the throttle wide open to get the needle out of the way. If that someone isn't there, use electrical tape on your throttle grip.
The pilot jet, maybe just a couple of sizes higher and lower. I've never had to mess with mine going from 3000 to 11000. I just adjust the air screw and main jet. Then again, I have a pilot jet that's in between my home and away riding (45).

Jets are cheap. Buy lots of them (brass can break), and check your plug often.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I've never had the time to jet for perfection when changing altitiude but have noticed a bit of "blubbering" when going from 400' to 1,800'
I would think you are looking at 1 or 2 sizes max on main jet and probably just a change of clip position as opposed to changing pilot jet.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…