G22inSC

Jun 6, 2003
I have not tuned my carb in years and lately have been riding a lot slower since my 6 year old is now following on his little PW50. I do not have low compression and have no reason to think there are any mechanical issues. I don't have any real concerns with the way it responds to the throttle; however, I don't really know what I am looking for. I use to run 50:1 oil ratios (Amsoil and Mobil) and have recently begun to rethink that after speaking to several professional engine builders (rebuild on a KTM 50SX that will be a Christmas gift). I switched to Motul 800 and went back to a 32:1 ratio. I am not positive but I think my needle use to be one position leaner (#2 clip) in the past but I changed it to a little safer position to begin with. I have solved one problem...I would get a fairly good bit of spooge (but no real smoke) while riding since my carb was too rich. I didn't have any real spooge after yesterdays ride. It use to run down the outside of the silencer and there was no "trail" present at the end of the ride. My new problem is smoke. It will now smoke whenever I briskly twist the throttle and smoke a good bit at that. It does this in the low throttle settings. I know the fuel/air ratio was leaned by going to 32:1 and I am thinking the smoke is due to more oil being present. Is this correct or do you think maybe it is too rich on the pilot or needle (or both) and loading up on the bottom which leads to the smoke when the throttle is first twisted?

My current bike is a 2005 KDX200 with the following mods:

air box lid removed
ProCircuit pipe and silencer
misc. suspension and protection goodies

My carb is currently setup with:
42 PJ
155 MJ
stock needle in #3 clip
AS 1.5 out
NGK BPR8ES plug

Environmental factors:
1000' elevation
85 - 90 degree temps

Should I go one step leaner on the PJ? Try the #2 clip on the needle? What would you'll recommend?

Dec 15, 2010
being a 2 stroke your bike will smoke a little regardless of how you ride, 32.1 is the standard ratio for the kdx & has been for years but there are some excellent modern 2 stroke oils on the market now..i like to run a mix of 40.1 in my 220 with the needle clip in number 2 position & mine still smokes! ..try running your clip 2nd notch from the top, make sure your air filter is nice & clean & also fit a new spark plug, try 40.1 mix ?... if your riding slower than normal & dont open the bike up then your bike will kinda `oil up` & spit spooge out the back :ride: , give the bike a good hard ride to clear it out :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom