Jacob88

Mar 12, 2003
I have a FMF gold series pipe for my rm250. I am soon going to have my dents removed and was wondering if the carbon build-up inside effects performance. If so, does anyone know what I could do to remove it? How about sloshing around a carbon eating solvent inside?

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
yes large ammounts of carbon build up does affect performance and weakens your powerband, take he pipe off and spray some Brake cleaner inside (lots) and swoosh it arond, should help....

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Check out the Just KDX forum there is a link in there to a KDX site that explains how to build a tool to clean the inside of the pipe out. Actually lots of very good info on this site and that forum. Sorry I don't have the site name.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
There are a few things you can do. The best is to take it to a rad shop and have it boiled.
Or, you can spray can of oven cleaner into it and let it sit. Or, heat the inlet end for about ten minutes with a propane torch and shove something inside to dislodge the carbon.
No home remedy I have ever tried will get all the carbon out.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
im not sure if it will work for newer pipes,but with some older pipes we took a torch to it and it works wonders, burns all that crap outta there....

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
There was a thread posted a while back about this. Heating with a torch works great!

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
Some of the pipe repair places also decarburize your pipe if you ask them. The one I sent it to uses the blow torch and brush method. It cleaned it up very well - from what I understand most of the carbon is close to the exhaust port.

derekk87

May 29, 2002
I just used a propane torch to burn mine out. I heated it until it was smoking like crazy and then I tapped it with a plastic pipe to knock it all out. I was surprised how much was in the end of the pipe by the silencer.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom