tmoney

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2002
Marcus, I saw your picture showing what not to do when drilling out the peens. Can you explain it a bit more. I'm totally new to this and think I may have done the wrong thing. To drill the peens out I used a small drill bit and drilled until I could see the outter tube inside edge against the part that unscrews from the outter tube. Anyway, how much heat do I need to apply. The oil is smoking and I am worried to apply too much heat for too long.. HELP and THANKS

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by tmoney
I'm totally new to this and think I may have done the wrong thing. To drill the peens out I used a small drill bit and drilled until I could see the outter tube inside edge against the part that unscrews from the outter tube.

didnt i tell you NOT to use a drill bit? if you can see the threads through the outer cartridge and you have pierced it then youve got big problems, i have heard of people running an o-ring under the CV after doing this.

since you didnt heed my advice here i will assume you are not interested in hearing my opinions on your BV?

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
I have seen as of lately, alot of suspension co drilling the peens all the way through on the cartridge this is being done after the removel of the CV of coarse. I believe they are doing this to clean up the threads, weather the metal is to thin, and possibly could present a problem or not ,but I have seen this alot.
IMO there is probably enough threads below the peens ( if you so happen to drill through the cartridge ) and with the loctite it would probably make for a sufficiant seal. I am baseing this just on observation only.I think the o-ring is probably a good idea.

Russ

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I dont ever like to drill all the way through . Its best to use a good drillpress with a depth stop , Be careful on the first one and set your stop , then rotate cartridge . I leave the spot real thin then I like to pust the thin part out ward from the inside with a dull punch. Ive seen plenty of these cartridges drilled all the way throughto the inner threads, loctite seals it. If done correctly the peened over parts should line back up when youre completed. Once I was going to to buy a tap to clean this up but it was real expensive so I passed .Hopefully Ill never need it .I think alot of guys just drill all the way through the outer tube so as to prevent less chance of the peens marring the threads when unthreading. I like the drill press with a depth stop. Go SLOW Tmoney and youll be allright.

tmoney

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2002
bclapham,
I saw your post but with out a 6mm mill and a drill press I decided to try it myself. I'm also more of a learn by doing, now that I've done it your post is very clear, before that it was not so, no matter how clear you actually were../..anyhow,,,I think I may be ok...the metal was thin, but I could not punch it through and I assume there is little pressure at this point. I'm sure I will be in there again making more mods. I found some .1 shims to use on the base valve. For now I have removed 1 ea. of the ones yamaha doubled up on this year and also removed 3 of the LSC 27 dia shims. If this doesn't make this baby plush I will try the .1s and remove 1 or two more of the HSC shims...by the way since this is a single stage what shims would be considered the LSC vs HSC?......Also, how would I use an oring below the peened area if I open them back up and notice the metal has punched through? This area was all threaded if I remember correctly. Thanks AGAIN!

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
tmoney.

if you reduce the lift and and keep the 0.15's in the BV then you are going to have very, very stiff forks. ive tried it myself! if i remember correctly, a 0.15mm shim is 3 times stiffer than a 0.1mm

btw. if you dont have the right tools, i would stop while you are ahead.:) a new cartridge might run to $100's while a good new drill press cost me $90!

tmoney

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2002
I think I'll get me a small drill press! By the way, the 03 has the .15 shims doubled up. As mentioned, I removed 1 ea. of the HSC .15 shims...do you reco that I still go with .1's. I assume I can do this and if it becomes too soft I can stiffen up the compression via the adjuster.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
if you are running 0.5mm lift then yes, you will need to swap all the 0.15's to 0.1's if you want plush forks IMO

home depot has a good drill press for $90:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom