mathd

Oct 11, 2008
80:1 is kart engine ratio, they dont have the same lubrication requirement as mx bikes.
I would go between 32:1 and 50:1 if it is a really good oil.
Or just mix the same ratio you used previously with other oil as your carb is probably jetted for that mix/ratio.
More oil is better thant not enough.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I"m baffled by this. I thought Karts used more oil, not less. The old Yamaha 100s run at 16:1 or 20:1 (basically as much oil as you could get without fouling).

Anyway, keep in mind castor oil will work fine in your bike and will smell good, but even oils with only a fraction of castor may tend to gum things up (regardless of what the bottle says). This is not a problem if you do teardowns/maintenance on a regular basis, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, see if it says anything about cold weather...some oils with castor tend to settle out in cold weather.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Motorex makes some good products IMO, that being said just because they suggest a ratio doesn't mean that's what you have to use. If you have been running 40:1 I would continue to do so.

Another interesting thought I had is if shifter carts us 2 stroke MX bike engines then why would they have a different mix? I guess the correct answer is they really shouldn't. :laugh:

In my experience many European oils and even bike manufacturers suggest ratios around 80:1, might be their idea or reduced emissions or ??? My Montesa 315R trials bike ran just fine on a 80:1 mix of Amsoil that was suggested to be mixed at 50:1. ;)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
trials engine is the opposite of the kart engine...no sustained full throttle action and basically the whole setup promotes low stress on the engine (carb, porting, etc.)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
No experience here with Motorex. Castor oil is good stuff and I had good luck with it when MXing on 125's. I think the oil burns off better though when used in higher RPM machines (mx, go-carts...?)
After I switched to woods riding I found the castor to gum up real bad... I'm thinking lower RPM running?
The crazy oil-lean ratios worry me though. Have had good luck with 125's at 32:1 and 250's at 40:1... no matter how "wonderful" the oil.

OriginalRider

Nov 23, 2008
First off good choice on the oil.I run castor in the rm great smell to it.its very light too not heavy like golden spectro.Anyway this is the way i mix my oil never failed a plug yet.Buy a mixing cup find 2 gallons look for 32:1 highlight it with a sharpy so you know where to stop.If you mix this whole 16oz of oil to a 5 gallon that's aight too BUT if you are going to use it all in that day if not just buy 2 gallons so the gas doesn't lose its vapors from sitting a week or 2.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, Motorex recommends 80:1 because they are based in Europe, and 80:1 is perceived as less harmful to the environment.

So 80:1 is the recommendation for best air quality, not what is best for your bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom