Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Looking to find a good trail tour to re-introduce a friend to dirt biking. He hasn't ridden in 20 years (sound familar?). It'll be him, his wife, 9 year old daughter, along with my family. Originally the idea was to bring him up to TrailFest, but just found out he is now unavailable that weekend... This is the only weekend he can ride.

What are the trails typically like for this tour? Trying to avoid really sandy, whooped-out trail sections if possible. Any tight, rocky, rooted sections, or just typical ORV trail?

Heard 300-400 riders last year... what's the staging area like? Decent room for RVs? Any kiddy loops available from staging?

Thanks!

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Smit-Dog,

Mike, Dad & I went to the Rose City Bentwheels Color Tour last year. As I recall the trails were pretty good - typical ORV stuff. The area is a bit sandy; but, I don't recall the trail being whooped out. 400 folks sounds about right. Facilities were good for large vehicles - IMO with plenty of room for all.

bentwheels dot com lists a couple folks you can contact. I'll bet these folks can answer your questions regarding a kids loop and general trail conditions.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Fun trail, kind of rocky has a fair amount of sand! Last year I think the high number didn't go over 200. Rose city puts on a great ride. Plenty of room for big rig parking.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Private loop on-site for kids loop; uses some of their hare scrambles track. Good stuff the parents say.
County roads used to get to the trails - Ogemaw county is open to ORVs, no plate needed. They use the MCCCT, Rose City, Ambrose Lake and Meadows systems for the Off-Road portion. Some good, some OK. Lots of options to make it a short or long ride with plenty of bail-out points.

Substantial camping area, $5/night for the primitive field camping.
Don't recall if we broke 350 riders last year, seems like it was less. Never feels crowded though.

Dual Sport routes beyond fantastic.

If you aren't familiar with the trails - all are sandy. Some have rocks. Some are narrow, some are not. Most get less use than other popular destinations (Meadows excluded) and reflect the lower use in their general condition.
Since it's fall, there's usually not so much loose sand.

Z-8

Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 25, 2005
Smit-Dog:
We rode there last year; like 2TrakR said real good kids trail (no sand) and plenty of parking. We went down the road a bit to get to the trail, the weather was really nice. Looking foward to going again this year. I would highly recomend this for getting restarted :nod:
RUZZ

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
Richter415 said:
if its some of their harescramble track you better hope it doesn't rain!

The rain opened up on one of their scrambles about 5 years ago. It was the first one I had ever done. I have never ridden in anything that slick since then. Took over 45 min. to do the practice lap. I can still remember there was a low section with a quick uphill to get out. Problem was nobody could. You could barley see through the steaming radiators. It was fun though.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for all the feedback on this event. Unfortunately, just found out that this guy has a wedding to attend the same weekend.

:bang:

Plans are to still go with the wife and kids.... :cool:

It was a toss-up with the Youth Enduro event down in Indiana, but the Color Tour will be a better fit for the wife and my daughters.

Top Bottom