CDI Box, OEM or Aftermarket?

Cabot

Sep 3, 2007
My CDI box is junk on my 05 CRF250. One of the plugs actually pulled out of the box.

Question is, will an aftermarket Rev Box (such as the big gun rev box, or rev max rev box) be safe to run?
Thing that scares me is they clame to raise the Rev Limiter by ~1000 RPMs.
Valves have no wear, springs well in spec. (just looked 3 rides ago) But it is the OEM titanium valve single spring setup.

I'm not bouncing off the rev limiter in every corner, but I do hit it every once in a while.

I can get the OEM box for dealer price, and probably the after market ones too. The Pro Circuit one is way more then I want to spend.

I just dont want to float a valve!
Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If you have no mods and the performance was satisfactory, get the OEM. You should look into the KW valve setups before you float a valve.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I purchased a ProComm rev box. They make it for most aftermarket folks and retail for around $125. I purchased for my CRF450R Y05 and had lots of issues. Box ran good only when bike was cold. Once I cam in after a moto and tried to turn the bike back on it would not turn on, and back fire. The company sent me 2 other rev boxes and all of them had the same issue. So I left the stock one in. But when the rev box was on it gave the bike a tad bit more power <1/2hp and made the bike vibrate more. Good luck in purchasing a budget one.

Spokes574

Top Bottom