BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Hi Everyone, 3 weeks ago i bought a 2001 CR250R after 3 rides the chain had stretched a little, and one of my friends told me I should tighten it up, so while trying to tighten it up i noticed the adjuster on the side of the sprocket was very hard to turn, and the nut was stripped, so i decided to buy another.
Well tonight I was going to change the two nuts and bolts,
while undoing the one that was hard to turn, the bolt snapped off, so we tried to drill it out, with no luck, everything was going good, then the drill started to go off center and cutting into the aluminum of the swingarm. :bang:
Now I'm stuck, I guess an option is to remove the swingarm, drill the hole out bigger, tap it and insert a helicoil...
Anyone have any other idea's?
Tom

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
That sux. I did something similar to one of my previous bikes. I went with the helicoil. Worked fine for me. Good luck, YZ165

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Thanks Guys,
We went for a ride today, 3 hours in deep mud without any problems with the chain coming loose, I put a 1/4"-20 x 1-1/4" bolt with a nut in the hole that I had drilled last night, then loosened up the nut to apply pressure between the head of the bolt and the axle, looks pretty much like what was there originally but this time its just sitting in the hole no threads to hold it in place. It seems to be ok for a quick fix, but this winter i'll remove the swing arm and have it machined to put a helicoil in place. I'm starting to see why I got the bike at such a good price (2500$Canadian 2000$US), But its all fun all of my buddies and our wives sit around my friend's garage razzing each other while fixing or maintaining the bikes.
This winter is going to be fun all of us sitting around the garage tearing our bikes down getting them ready for next season. Theres still a few rides left before the snow comes I hope that bolt holds up...Thanks again for all the help
This Site Rocks!! :cool:
Tom

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom