chain lube

Lutz

Oct 3, 2001
Honda HP (I think it comes in a red can). It has a graphite lubricant in it, and dries to a, well, dry film. It has worked well for me.
Regards, Lutz

ktmmudd

Sep 5, 2001
I've used Bel-ray on a regular chain; but am using Maxima chain lube on
my o-ring chain.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
I've tried all the fancy lubes and keep going back to the Honda HP listed above. It does an excellent job. Alot of the "nonfling" types really gum up in the dust and dirt.

For my o-ring chain I simply use WD-40, the last chain lasted well over a year on my XR650.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
This is going to be an "interesting" thread. Almost as popular as the what is your mix ratio topic :) . Anyway, please specify if the lube you recommend is good for an O-Ring chain.

Last edited:

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I'm convinced that nothing stays on for more than a few miles. I've been using Bel-Ray No-Fling for almost a year, at least it doesn't leave a mess.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I really like the new Bel Ray SUPERCLEAN, it goes on white and drys instantly and isn't tacky or sticky and doesn't attract dirt. I see Maxxis has a SuperClean lube also, but haven't tried it.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
KXKen,
I'm very curious why you are such a fan of wax?

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
KXKen,
I'm very curious why you are such a fan of wax?

Because is doesn't attract dirt and it keeps the chain lubed up. My 99 KX 250 still has the original chain on it. Chain wax seems to be a love or hate thing. I'll never use anything else.

xler8250

Jul 27, 2001
Here's another for the Honda HP chain lube. It's the best stuff I have ever used! Goes on clear, does not attract dirt, and does not build up like other chain lubes. Won't hurt to give it a shot.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
KXKen,
I've never seen anything attract as much dirt as chain wax does.
Do you run on grass?

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
White grease in a spray can. I get it at Wallmart for less than 2 bucks. It stays on better than anything else I have used. I got the idea from E-Gorr's book. It also doesnt fling off at all.

I use wd40 right after washing the bike, then after a bit I spray on the grease. It goes on like normal chain lube but it getts hard quickly like chain wax. It doesnt seem to attract dirt any worse than anything else.

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
Spartan Lube All is a great industrial lubricant in a spray can. I only use it on my normal chain though. For O-ring chain I like to use the PJ1 Blue Label lubrican. I dont know why I just started using it 10 years ago and have liked it. Pretty much any lubricant is good if you clean and relube your chain often.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Maxima, cuz it smells goooood. I love the smell of Maxima chain wax in the morning (sorry, had to say it).

84XRGuy

Mar 7, 2001
I have to agree with evenslower....I keep the can in my truck...best air freshener I've ever used!!!!

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Originally posted by Jaybird
KXKen,
I've never seen anything attract as much dirt as chain wax does.
Do you run on grass?

Jaybird, it may be just my OPINION but I've used PJ1 (and others simalar to it). When I go around the MX track for 2 or 3 laps my chain looks like I lubed it up and then put it in a can of chewing tobacco. When I use chain wax it's a clean as can be at the end of the day. I used some Honda product (don't remember the name of it) that was very simalar to the Maxima Chain Wax I use now. The only reason I use the Maxima instead of the Honda stuff is because the Honda stuff didn't give me that nice warm fuzzy feeling of my chain being lubed up (it seem like the Honda stuff flew off the chain right away). If your looking for very technical data I'm sorry, I can't provide it. If chain wax attracts dirt on your chain then (by all means) don't use it. I can only tell you that it's worked very well for me.

I've been told I'm full of OPINIONS (no doubt that's probably true) and this is just one of them.

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
[a good chain lube i use is either spectro,bel-ray super clean, or maxima chain wax those are the best non-fling off non-attracting drt chainlubes you can use ;)

AMinkman

Nov 17, 1999
I'm not sure but I think I have tried everything my local dealers
stock and without question the best I have found is Bel-Ray Superclean.
I read a review here about The Honda lube but it seems to dry to be doing anything. This is my totally un-scientific opinion.

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I have been using Maxima chain wax for about a week now and it does attract a lot of dirt.
So what is the "Best" i dont like that word, for O-ring chains?

Rich?
Jaybird?

marcv125

Oct 29, 2001
I picked up Bel-ray superclean today.
I could actually see the coating on the chain!!. I didnt see how well it works yet i will have a report next Sun.
Marc

CR 250 MXer

Jan 30, 2002
Is there anything I should stay away from to lube my O-Ring chain? I've heard that some things can cause the O-Rings to deteriorate.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…