KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I have an 01 KX 250 that I've had for about a month. I've been doing trail riding with it. It has the stock sprockets and chain on it. I have about 20 hours of ride time on it. When I bought it, all was in great shape. But now, the chain is seriously stretched out, and the front sprocket has a couple teeth missing and a few more that are chipped. Before, I was able to fit three fingers between the chain and the bar. Now, it's my whole hand and then some. Is this normal for a stock chain and sprocket set? I've been riding in a lot of mud. Should I put a new front sprocket on and take a link out of the chain, or get a new chain and sprockets? This is my first bike by the way. If I do need new stuff, what's the best I can buy? Renthal? Regina? Thanks! Matt

Hdshot

Dec 4, 2004
Hey KC junk that chain and sprocket and get new ones.Factory chains need to be taken off before the first ride or they will just cost you more in the long run. Go for a DID O-Ring Chain and you can prob. get an aftermarket sprocket cheeper than factory,The chain is going to cost a but-load but it is worth every penny.Mud will ruin anything exspecailly that Dang O.K. mud.

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Definitely time for a new chain and sprocket. Check your owners manual for proper chain adjustment. I'am always amazed at the folks I see running their chain way too tight. The O ring chain should last much longer, but you might have some clearance problems because they are wider than the stock chains. I put an X ring chain on my bike and I had to use a dremel tool to grind down the surface of the case around the front sprocket because the chain was rubbing on it. Watch out for problems on the chain guide for the rear sprocket also.

Top Bottom