kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
I got rid of my slobbering oil problem by going to leaner jets,(150 main and 45 pilot) but yesterday I shared pre-mix with another rider (32:1) instead of 40:1 like I was using. Now it started slobbering again. My question is would it be safer to lean out the jets and stick with 32:1 or go back to 40:1. Klotz techniplate BTW.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Was the riding the same? I can tell you this, within reason (not 100:1 and 5:1) the spooge is not an oil in the gas issue it is absolutly a jetting issue.

Perhaps it was the needle. You have 3 circuits. Did you try raising the clip one?

Hoffies

Feb 26, 2007
I would be more concerned whether the bike is jetted correctly than the amount of spooge, thus making sure it is not running too lean(very important). Dial in the jetting and the spooge should sort itself out! Remember changing the fuel/oil ratio could also entail changing the jetting slightly again to match, more oil = less fuel = bike leaner etc.

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
riding was the same, mix of slow and fast trails. I ran about 2 tanks of 40:1 with no spooge, then when I went to 32:1 the spooge was back. I'll probably stick with 40:1.

muddertrucker

Aug 24, 2006
If you change pre mix ratio you will require rejetting. The main idea to remember is that you should not fix a lean or rich problem by changing your premix.

kennedy

Mar 23, 2008
I realize the rejetting to reflect a change in pre-mix, I might need to rephrase the question. Is it safer to run 40:1 with the proper jetting (which I seemed to have, because the bike seemed to be a little quicker to rev and overall a bit more powerful) or run 32:1 with the proper jetting. Is more oil going to make the bike run longer? It seems like it should, what pre-mix do you guys run.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
To keep it simple you use the oem spec ratio........ And jet the bike, done deal. Going for the ratio does not fix the problem, it hides it for a while if its a mechanical issue.

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
If you run a good synthetic like Motul, Redline, Amsoil Dominator, Etc, there is no good reason to run less than 50:1, especially if you are just riding trails. Each of these oil companies recommend 50:1 + ratios for non-racing and they have no incentive to do so. Jeff Fredette runs 50:1 Golden Spectro - he has never lost a top end in 20+ years of racing the ISDE. In fact, he claims he has very little top end wear after 40 hours of absolutley hammering the motor in an ISDE. Pick a good oil and ratio, and jet accordingly.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You can take it to the bank that Jeff's bike was not blowing and dripping spooge, so he figured he would switch the ratio! What would you do to a bike recommended to run 20:1? Burn it up because some label said it was good. Try getting them to fix it? Fix it, jet it, ride it. Tomorrow or next week, it may have to be done again. Thats the way it is. Unless you have an engine management system or efi? Plan B: Pull the right crank seal, fill the cases with walmart 2 stroke oil, get a quad to pull start it. Plan b was a joke?

crhines

Aug 27, 2006
Interesting response. My point is that 50:1 (with good 2-stroke oil) is perfectly adequate for most riders. The challenging part (and most important) is finding the right jetting. If smoke and spooge is your thing, you're welcome to run Motul 800T at 20:1.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The bike should run fine on the stock premix ratio. Bottom line. There is an issue somewhere. Even after jury rigging it by lowering ratio, the problem is still there. Now what are you going to do with all that extra gas? Personally motul is fine, 927 is better! Golden spectro, he must be sponsored or getting it for free?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom