Change piston

yamayz125

Feb 8, 2003
How often should I change my piston?
I got a YZ 125.
Some people does it after 6 hours, others are saying 13-15h.
How often do you change the piston?

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Well,it really depends how hard the bike is used,and how much you need top performance.Pro guys have a new piston every time they race,they need 100 % power available from the engine.A 9 year old riding a kx 60 can sometimes go 50-60 hours on a top-end,before the bike gets harder to start,and performance drops off.If the piston breaks,youre in trouble off course.If the rider keeps the engine in the powerband all the time,its 6 hours on a ring,12 hours on a piston,typically.These guys can really feel the new piston on a 65/85/125.Bigger bikes are typically run at lower revs,and the top end will last longer.If you want to read more about it,try doing a search on these forums,a lot of info can be found...

H/Sracer500

Feb 20, 2002
IMHO, the best way to find out if the piston needs replacing is to measure the piston and the bore and see if the difference between the two is within the specs listed in the shop manual...

yamayz125

Feb 8, 2003
I ride alot in sand. That means very high rpm, and some extra filters.
I don`t want to measure the piston and the bore.
Because it`s to much work I think. :(
I only "open" the cylinder when I change the piston.
I don`t need top performance.
But I want to know when it`s time to change the piston so it doesn`t seizure!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Sand, high rpm, and not wanting to take the time to measure your parts adds up to getting real good at splitting your cases to completely rebuild the top AND bottom end. Now that's alot of unnecessary work! The only way to tell if new parts are needed is by careful measurement. Disaster will happen if you try to guess when to rebuild.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…