Changing fork oil only and checking springs

2000FLSTF

May 20, 2003
What is the only thing you need to do to change the fork oil in some Showa ('99 RM250) forks? I don't need to change seals or other stuff....I just want to do the oil right now. I have a manual, but it talks about "completely" disassembling the forks...but I just want to change the oil for now. Is it just the top cap and what ever oil is in the damper rod?.....and can I do this without buying any parts(o-rings, seals, etc.)?

Also, since I bought this bike used from a person that weighed 230 to 240, and I'm 180 to 185, is there a way to check the spring for a part number that could tell me the stiffness? He said he didn't change them, if I remember right, but I wanted to check to make sure, because they seem pretty stiff.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by 2000FLSTF
Is it just the top cap and what ever oil is in the damper rod?.....and can I do this without buying any parts(o-rings, seals, etc.)?

Very likely yes to both questions.

[Also, since I bought this bike used from a person that weighed 230 to 240, and I'm 180 to 185, is there a way to check the spring for a part number that could tell me the stiffness?

Very likely no. There might be a stamped indicator on the top or bottom of the springs to tell you what stiffness they are, if they are OEM. Yamaha manuals tell you that there should be an indicator of the stock springs, but there is not.

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
My advice to you is completely take them apart. You will be amazed how much more junk oil you get out by tearing them apart rather than just turning them over to dump the oil out. On my 99 kx250 (which has KYB forks) the first time I just dumped them out. After 5 rides I completely tore them apart and there was all kinds of crud in the bottom. You don't need to buy any parts to take em apart just be careful putting them together and follow the manual

Top Bottom