Changing fork seals

racing_46

Jan 25, 2004
I was wondering how I would go about changing my fork
seals on my 1995 KDX 200, I have already purchased the seals, but I'm not 100 percent sure on the process. Also what weight fork oil and how much would you guys recommend to firm up the fork a fair bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Chris

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
You will need specialized tools to do the job. A fork cylinder holder, adapter,oil level guage (maybe), fork seal driver (maybe). Recommended fork oil weight standard is 10W. A heavier weight will slow down compression and rebound, a lighter weight the opposite. This is for the average rider. Heavier riders may want to consider the heavier weight oil and the riding conditions you are accustomed to. I have rebuilt forks in other bikes in the past. Was a pain in the butt and would rather pay the dealer for the hassle.

Here's a little trick I picked up. Some times the seals can be cleaned up a little if there is a light leak by cutting a plastic soft drink (soda) bottle and sliding the plastic up under the seal to scrape out the gunk and grime. Sometimes the leaks stop altogether. try it before you go though the expense of a seal replacement.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
search for film negatives and you should find directions on this trick

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…