changing fork springs on 04 KX65

jim7411

Nov 24, 2003
I just bought my son an '04 KX65 and I need to put lighter springs in it for him (he's only 60 lbs.). The bike is brand new.
My question is, can I just remove the fork caps, while the forks are on the bike, and pull out the old springs and drop in the new?
The springs came with washers, which I assume are for changing the preload. I don't think that I really need to mess with changing that right now unless somebody, "in the know", tells me different.
I would think that the oil level would stay the same when removing the old springs, except for a very small amount left on the springs. So I shouldn't need to add any, right?
Also, are there any special tools that I am going to need to do this job?
I appreciate any help that you can give here.

Thanks

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
jim,

The 65 is easy. You don't have to remove the tubes. Just screw off the fork caps. The caps with the adjusting rods attached will lift off. Then remove the springs. I'd make sure the fork oil is within specs. Gently collapse the forks all the way with the springs still out and measure the height of the fluid from the top of the fork tube. The owner's manual will tell you how much you should have. I have a cheap plastic dial caliper I use to measure oil height. I use it often, and for more things than the forks. You should eventually purchase one. A quart of 10W BelRay won't cost more than $6.00. After you get the level right, maneuver the bike on the stand so you can extend the forks again. Gently drop the springs in, and then fiddle around with the adjusting rods till they slip into their holes. You'll see the rods are D-shaped. So are the holes. Carefully screw the caps on. You're done.

If you need to lower the back end, the KX65 has some optional dogbones for the rear suspension. Check out www.buykawasaki.com and go to the parts diagrams. The longer the dogbone, the lower the rear.

Good luck.

deadhead

jim7411

Nov 24, 2003
Thank you for the reply. This really helps. We are going to the track tomorrow morning, which means changing the springs tonight. I don't want to get into it and find out that I need something more and have to put it back together for the morning.
I have just a couple more questions if you don't mind.
1. When Checking the oil level in the fork tubes, don't I have to get the fork tubes vertical so that the oil is level in the tubes. I do have the Race tech oil level tube that I bought when I put springs on my YZ250F, so checking it will be a breeze.
2. So do you think that I am going to need to change the preload spacers at all? Do you know if the lighter springs will be the same length as the stock spring? Or do you know waht the length of the stock spring is?

I am also very interested in the lowering link. How much will it lower the seat? He does fine with it now but lowering it would let him get much closer to touching the ground with both feet.

Thanks again. I look forward to your reply.

Jim

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…