bagheeera

Jan 19, 2003
Can anyone help a newbie out with how to change forkoil on my CR250 -00? What steps are involved in changing the oil? How do i go about it? Any special tools needed?
I have a service manual but it shows a complete teardown of the fork, not just how to go about changing the oil. As i'm a bit scared to get it wrong, any step-by-step instruction on what actions needs to be taken to change the oil on an otherwise fully functional fork is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Fear not...not too scary. You will need to remove the top cap (50mm) and will need to make yourself a holder tool (instructions and dimensions are in your manual...little "U" shaped piece). For a complete description click HERE and download the file, print and follow. Be sure to do the cartridge too and clean well.

Good luck and if you need any more assistance drop me a line or post back here, there's lots of TC folks around here :thumb:

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
The instructions are 3 pages long, including internal component disassembly. Is this necessary just to change the fork oil? Seems like the best plan would be to take the forks to a dealer to do it, given all the special tools and careful steps to follow.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
It is really not that bad, dependant on mechanical aptitude and willingness. ;)

Taking them to a dealer would definitely be easier, but what do you learn by that? :think:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Changing the oil is VERY easy.

bagheeera

Jan 19, 2003
Thanks for your anwers.
So you guys go through all those steps to change the oil then? Or what steps in that instruction do you need to do, and which steps aren't nesseccary to perform when changing the oil?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Well, you can delete the following information:

-"Seal and Tube disassembly", unless you are replacing the seals.
-"Internal Component disassembly", you can stop at the part that goes into grinding to remove nut holding valving components, except the last line about cleaning ;)
-during reassembly, you can clearly eliminate the same sections and only use those that apply.

Hope this makes it clearer...it will become clearer as you take things apart. You will see then how far you need to go to get things clean and refilled. Once you do it, you will see just how simple it really is. The trick is to be thorough and anal about cleaning.

Good luck! :thumb:

Top Bottom