Changing Shock Spring?

rougewarrior

Aug 9, 2002
To change the shock spring do I have to remove the shock from the bike? The bike is an 03 RM65(KX65). Assuming the shock has to be removed from the bike how do I remove the spring? It looks like that if I loosen the preload adjuster the spring still wont come off. Any help would be great!!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
You will have to take it off the bike. Once it is off, release the tension on the spring.

On the bottom you will see a ring and something that looks like a split washer. With no tension on the spring the washer halves will slide out. This lets the spring slide off.

I made it sound much harder than it really is. How do you like the KX 65? I rode one a few weeks ago. Even my 190 lb body was impressed. I wish they had bikes like that when I was young!

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Loosen the preload,while the shock is still mounted to the bike,this will make it easier to turn when you get it off.Loosen the lock one first (top) then start punching the preload one counter clockwise I use a hammer and a socket extension.On my bike I have to loosen the bell side of the carb airboot and take the bolts out of the subframe plus the silencer,and move it back some so you can lift the shock out.Not sure how the 65 is but just take a look.Once you have it out, turn the preload adjuster all the way up,on the bottom of the shock you should have 2 collars 1 with a slot just slip it through the shock shaft and the spring will come off of the body.The 65 might have a little different set up not sure, but just take a look.

rougewarrior

Aug 9, 2002
Thanks for all the replies. I got it changed out last night. We went out to Saddleback and my son rode great. It is amazing what a spring will do. The stock spring in the 03 RM/KX is a 4.8 made for a 110lbs rider. He is 70 lbs and uses a 4.3. I have it set at 75mm of sag with 2 turns out on the rebound. It seems to be great. We are having GP Racing install their works piston kit and I cant imagine how that will change the ride.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000

I totally agree, I think the right springs is the best bang for your buck.Wow only 2 turns out on the rebound he doesn't complain about harshness or packing?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…