Changing tires

cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
If this is not the correct forum, please let me know where it gets moved to.
I just bought new tires and I am having a hard time getting the tires OFF. I got it half way out and the tube out. I have changed tires before but that was about 15 years ago, the sidewalls where not as stiff.

I have 3 Tire Irons and a wood floor in my shed, thats it, no fancy tools. I have not tryed using soap yet, but I plan to tonight unless somes can tell me to use something else.

Would I be better off taking it to a mechanic?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I changed my last tire 7 years ago. My friend and I managed to pinch 11 holes in the tube, and I swore I would never try another one.

My friendly local dealer changes tires for $10 (If you buy his tires). I'll never change another one.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I'll change them if I'm in a "pinch" but if I have the time, the dealer I buy from changes them for free.;)

estegall

Feb 6, 2002
Since I like to ride both dirt and sand, I change tires all the time and it is always a pain. On top of that, I have to change my wife's tires too. We are heading down to Pismo this weekend so I had to put the paddle tires on this morning. All I use is 2 10" tire irons, a big pry bar, and a plastic bucket. It takes me about 1 hour to do each bike from unloading it off the trailer to putting it back on the trailer. New tires make it so much harder. After you have changed them a few times, they seem to get easier to change. I really need to invest in some spare rims so all I have to do is pull the axle and swap rims.

Mike198

Jul 8, 2002
Is it really that hard for you to change tires? I've got it down to about 15 minutes. All I have is a tire iron and screw drivers. I've been meaning to get more tire irons. There are some people that change tires in 5 minutes.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Here's a trick I picked up years ago while watching a factory mechanic change tires.. To remove the tire from the rim, first take one side of the tire off the rim, remove the tube, take the othe side of the tire off the other side of the rim so that the wheel is in the middle.. stand the whole thing up and give the rim/wheel a good boot with your foot. It usually falls right out of the tire.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i noticed that you are in idaho. how cold is that tire you are trying to pry off? cold rubber is a real pain. if the tire is junk anyway, cut it off with a hacksaw. the cords are nylon. should come off pretty easily. i use goop as a lubricant on the bead. it stays on and doesnt get all over the place. once the tire is on i wipe it off. sometimes soap causes aluminum to corrode.

cmott

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2001
The day I posted, it was about 35. I got it off the next day when it was warmer. Now I am trying to get the new one on. I haven’t had much time to work on it, about 45 minute’s total. Thanks for all the advise, I will let every one know how it goes and how the new tires (Kenda Trak Master II's) work for my dual sport XT350.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
One tip will make you life alot easier-order some genuine honda levers-they are simply brilliant-i used to pinch tubes and curse and take about a hour each tire.Now even stiff tyres take about 30 minutes and i have only pinched one tube(i was pushing my luck and knew i had done it)since ive had these levers.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Ok this is what I do. First remove the core from the valve stem loosen the wheel locks and push them in till the nut bottoms.
Then I take a large C-clamp two pieces of wood and break the bead all the way around the rim. This make a big difference in removing the tire because it allows the tire to fit in side the rim and gives you more free play to work with. Then take two tire spoons a couple of rags to protect the rims finish and a spay bottle with soapy water. If your only changing the tube you can remove one side of the tire. Hook the edge of the tire with the spoon and place the rag on the rim behind it.. do the same thing about 6 to 8" from the first. Now spray the edge of the rim and tire with soapy water then work the spoons around the tire in 6 to 8' increments moving one spoon then the other till the tire is off. Remove old tube, patch or replace ( If replacing remember to inflate the tube alittle then remove core ). Doing it this way it take hardly no time. If changing the tire.. then pull both side of the tire off so the rim is in the center.. then spin the rim crossways and roll out to remove. Reverse process to install.. Inflate till bead seats... install core and add recommended PSI. If you find yourself in need of a third hand because the tire keeps wanting to slip back into the rim.. Use the C-clamp and wood to hold a extra spoon or crescent wrench handle in place while you work around the rim.

nectar

Sep 11, 2002
get at least 1 15" tire iron with the bend at one end, those things wrk real well...I also use 3 wood blocks made from landscaping rail-raod ties, each about 12" long.....you lay the wheel on evenly spaced blocks, then you can stand on the tire to either break bead, or compress side walls to create slack in the tire to take off rim or put on rim....poor mans tire changer....

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…