NashInPA

Apr 24, 2003
Thinking of moving to the Charlotte area and am wondering what the riding is like. I know there is a ton of riding in the mountains a couple hours away but am wondering about the suburban riding around charlotte. If there is any and what areas would be best to live in? Would love to be able to ride right out of my house if its possable??????? Where would be the best place to live and where can I look for trails? Thanks

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I am not aware of anything "legal and public" within an hour of Charlotte. I rode with some guys along 85 construction one time but I think there are signs posted now and the construction isn't likely to last forever. I haven't seen those guys in a year or more. The best places to live for riding (if you can afford land) will most likely give you a miserable commute.

North Carolina isn't what it used to be. Too many northerners moving down here turning it into the northeast (I am a transplant myself).

When you get in town, come ride with us in Chester SC at TNT and we'll make a trip or two to the mountains for trail riding.

NashInPA

Apr 24, 2003
James...would I be better off in northern SC? Not worried about public riding, just need woods and I will make trails. I am from Pittsburgh and we have no public riding anywhere...but we do have riding out the wazooo.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
If I had my choice, I'd be in northern SC....but not while working in Charlotte. I absolutely hate the commute. It is worse coming from the north of Charlotte...did that for a year ro so.

I meant public as in open to the public...not govt funded particularly. I am not real familiar with Pittsburg, but my guess is that it is going to be more difficult here to find a place to ride unless you own land or make friends with people who do. From what I understand...Pittsburg doesn't have quite the suburbia that Charlotte does...is that true? I did some research on Pittsburg when I was looking at getting relocated by the Govt and it seemed like a nice place.

NashInPA

Apr 24, 2003
I will probably be working in or around charlotte since I do computer networking. I did not realise the commute from N SC and N Charlotte was that bad. Bummer, I kinda liked the lake norman, Denver location. Even Kings Mountain. I dont think that Pittsburgh has the suburbia that Charlotte has. Our population is nearly half also. We have a ton of riding but parking is another story. You need to know somebody or dual sport in. The cops will be waiting for ya if you dont. It looks like riding after work for a few hours would be out of the question, unless, like you say I make friends with a land owner or hit the state lottery and buy a farm. Thanks for the insight James.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Depends on what you consider a bad commute...some people don't mind it. Between 7:30-9:00 it would often take me an hour+ to drive from exit 28 to exit 6 (22 miles). If it was raining or if there was an accident...it could be two hours+ in either direction. I am pretty much trapped in the city during the week unless I take the afternoon off.

There is some riding like you describe, but I'd venture to say a whole lot less of it in THIS part of the state than in Pittsburg. There is a group of guys that ride the powerlines in one area but after talking to a couple of them....I am not sure I want to risk the tickets or bike confiscation (or whatever it is they do to you).

I bought my lottery tickets Sunday. WHen I win and buy my farm, you are welcome to come over.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i was actually gonna make the same post nash. i would like to move to the charlotte area myself when i finish welding school. i really like the north charlotte area around lake norman. im sick of the pittsburgh area, the riding is good but i cant handle the winters anymore here, winter diving is really fun with the hills we have here, also there seems to be some serious economic problems here. i also like the atlanta area too.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
There are two decent private parks that do the daily fee within an hour or Charlotte. TNT has trails and MX tracks, Brushy Mountain has nice trails (from what I hear - haven't been yet). Another 1/2 hour or so west from Brushy is Brown Mountain....great trails - public facility. There is more trails east at Uwharrie and there are a few places in SC that may push 2 hours or more driving time.

NashInPA

Apr 24, 2003
Lonewolf...its a small world aint it. I too am tired of the winters and the economy of the burgh. I know the grass is not always greener on the other side but in the case of Charlotte (working/weather) I think it is. Riding is a different story but if there are woods, we can always ride. Seems to me the charlotte area needs a trail riders club.....maybe when we get down there thats what we can do. Hopefully I wont see another pittsburgh winter. We need to hook up.....looks like not much riding this week cause of rain....again.

James..those places sound great. Thanks for all the help.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by James
When you get in town, come ride with us in Chester SC at TNT and we'll make a trip or two to the mountains for trail riding.

The invitation is there. It's an open one for anyboby and everybody so long as they don't have attitudes like the Jersey side of my family.

LW,

TNT is pretty neat and I do most of my riding there.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i was down there last year about this time. i went on vacation with my family and we stopped and stayed overnight in cornelious( excuse the spelling) because i wanted to check out some of the nascar race shopes and museums and i didnt want to leave and continue the drive to hilton head, i wanted to stay. it just seems like a really cool place to live, im gonna try to get tickets to the nascar race down there in the fall at lowes motor speedway. i do have some family that live in the area but i really dont talk to them too much, they are my moms cousins. i have to finish school first before i move, i am going to school to be a welder and would like to work in a fab shop, i actually talked to some people on other message boards that live in the charlotte area and they said i should have no problem finding a job. it seems like there are no jobs available in pittsburgh, my sisters boyfreind is in computer networking too and he cant find a job, he just graduated from school. other than the riding here in pittsburgh there really isnt to much for me to like about it. nash were you out at finleyville this past weekend, i was, as i mentioned before im not that skilled of a rider yet and i had a heck of a time in the mud i must have dumped my bike 5 times, i hate the mud. what is your first name nash? mine is justin, if i see someone on a exc 200 i will flag them down to see if it is you, do you have numbers on your bike?. i ride an 02 250f, if you see some riding by themselves on a 250f, or someone with a guy on an 03 rm125 with the number 889 on it its me, i used to wear green and blue socal gear i would say if you see someone wearing that its me cause i have never seen anyone else wearing that kind of gear but i just bought white and black msr system x so ill be wearing that now, anyway, sorry to ramble talk to you later.

NashInPA

Apr 24, 2003
Whyzee and James I am all over your invite. I will eat anything you guys will throw at me....my favorite is the pulled pork you got down there. That is the best stuff going. I tried to make it several times and have had no luck.

Lonewolfe.....I think we may have met up at the bowl or whatever it is called. I was with my buddy, he is on a cr250, we were sitting ontop of one of the steep shoot ya straight ups. Someone cruised over on a 2002 yzf...I didnt get the size...nobody seemed to have to much to say to each other so ya took off. Was this you? It was two mondays ago I think.

What type of mud are we looking at in NC? Is it clay, sandy or just dirt?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Mud: depends on where you are at. We have clay with a thin layer of powdery dirt on top in lots of places. When it gets fairly wet, it is like riding on a greasy cookie sheet. When it is real dry, it is about as slick. We also have normal dirt and thick goopy mud if you get in the woods or stumble across a track that isn't clay. Haven't found any sand in Western NC, but I know there is plenty of it east and in SC. There is a good selection of rock in several places and I have trashed my share of skid plates.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
no that wasnt me nash. i dont think i ever went back there on a monday and if i saw the 200 exc i probably would have asked if it was you. i like to ride at the bowl if there is only 2 or 3 people up there, otherwise im scared of getting ran into by somebody else, there was a close call when i was up there on sunday.

Testicleez

Mod Ban
Jun 26, 2003
Hey Guys,
Don't forget that an hour or two north of Charlotte makes for some lovely Thunder Valley, Center Road and Est Bend MX track action. Forest Games is up here as well. 300+ acres of trail ridding and paint balling! Wooooweeee. Sounds like we all should get together and tear it up!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Are you talking about Thunder Valley in Yadkinville? Are they still open?

Where is Forest Games?

Come down to TNT Sunday and hang out with us.

CR-For-Ever

Feb 25, 2002
Forest games is in danbury, it looks like a cool place I think it's mainly ATVers though...

Eastbend is a really nice track, I use to go there atleast once a month I havn't been on a track in almost a year though.

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Hey guys, just found this thread, so I'm late to the party but, I live in Huntersville, just south of Lake Norman and Cornelius. There are a few areas to ride trails around my house. One behind my house is a gas pipeline that goes for miles. Some ATV'ers have built some double track as well. There is even a small mx track way back in the woods with a couple of hill climbs. Also, near I 85 are some trails to ride as well. Up near Denver there are some trails on the transmission lines that people ride and I don't think much of a big deal is made by the local law enforcement. NC is pretty laid back most places. Also, I just went to Bluefield, WV this weekend. It was only 3 hours away and we rode for 5hrs and never hit the same trails. Nice monster hill climbs there too. If you come down give a yell and we'll ride.

Jim

NashInPA

Apr 24, 2003
Jim, thanks for the info...that is encouraging. This post has helped me decide that if I can find employment, I'm selling and moving. My main riding concern was that I would only be able to ride on the weekends, but if there are places like you say...little sections of woods here and there I will be good to go...getting a weekday fix after work is a nice option to have. I printed this post and will let everyone know when my yankee arse moves south.

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Wait, did I just help make a decision to increase the number of yankees down here? GEEZ, what was I thinking.

See ya when you are here!

Jim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom