cheap port job

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
There's a guy on eBay selling port and polish jobs cheap ($50?). ? I wasn't really planning on modifying my ride, but at that price it may be worth a winter update.

I am also having trouble removing a flywheel from an '83 KDX200 that I just picked-up. I have a pulling tool that attaches to the 3 bolt holes on the flywheel and pushes on the crank bolt. Yes, teh crank bolt is loose, but I just can't get the flywheel to break loose. I've tried heating the flywheel and I've been liberal with 3 in 1 oil and other 'thread' liquids. Any other ideas?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Run away! Bad porting can ruin a nice bike....you almost always get just what you pay for.

Gladiator

Jul 28, 2002
Lots of taps with a hammer while it is under pressure from the puller. Tap the puller and tap fly wheel. Just be carefull not to hit the fly wheel too hard. I did mine a week ago. I thought it was not going to come. I let it sit under tension for a while. Taped it some more. Cranked the puller a turn or two. Waited a while. Tapped it and bammm...popped of.
Good Luck.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Mr gorr's or fredettes work is'nt that much more! I have both men's work on my bikes. there worth the extra $30. as for your flywheel, rap the end of the puller's main press ajuster firmly a couple time while it's under pressure " don't beat the hell out of though!"

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Is he selling a port job or a ported cylinder?? I just cant imagine someone sending their jug off to unknown places for work that really requires a professional builder!! The guys name selling the job the job isnt KEN LAY is it?
DO EXACTLY AS JTT SUGGESTED!!
Woodsy

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
I would also advise u 2 stay away from "cheap porting"
I took a class on Porting/polishing, and i can tell u that a good porting/ polishing job will take several hours!
Sounds like this guy wants 2 work 4 5-7bucs an hour.
you really have 2 do a professional job just 2 get minimal returns!

The results can be good or very bad. (new jug & cyl.)

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
Make sure you are using a plastic/rawhide or brass/copperhammer to do all this tapping. Takes lots of tappingand equal pressure all around the flywheel......Liquid Wrench?

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
the puller pushes on the crank bolt? for the XR my puller pushes on the crankshaft and I never had to tap anything, just tighten the puller. its been ages since ive pulled a 2 stroke flywheel, i guess they are a little different.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Cheap port jobs. You get what you pay for. Forget it!

Stuck flywheel. Emphasis on the 'go softly' on the pounding part. You can destroy (remove, damage, screw-up, whatever word you wish) the magnetism of the flywheel...in which case you would have a worthless piece of junk on your hands.

keith: You want the puller to push on the bolt or nut (if it has either) to keep the puller from damaging the threads on the crank. Threads are usually recessed so that wouldn't be a problem...but it could be.

You prolly knew that already...........

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…