stator plate mod 83-88 w/95-04 flywheel

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I have found info that can help out the older kdx 200's that have craped out the flywheel.
FRP has under their electrical tab on their website a modified (your) stator plate that will allow you to use the 95-04 kdx200 flywheel. and your original coils, assuming the magnets from the old flywheel didn't trash your coils.
In their "kit" they will include the flywheel and the stator plate
you must return your stator plate as a core. Pretty pricey though for an old bike.

My question is has anyone ever bought this kit?
What was done to the stator plate?
I assume they have figuered out where to move the holes that mount the plate to give correct timing with the 95-04 kdx flywheel.

Also have run across a few forums that say little about the tecate flywheel from ricky stator working on the older (83-88) kdx200 does any one have the details on this?
like is it bolt on w/ no other pieces like a different stator plate?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
You may want to call Ricky Stator and see what he says.

The price on the FRP site is a good bit cheaper than a new, discontinued '86 ' '88 flywheel. Call and ask him if you can send a 1995+ rotor you bought off eBay along with your stator plate and coils.

GOOD CATCH on the FRP page!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I don't think they need to do anything at all to the flywheel
like I said I suspect they just drill holes in the stator plate so timing is right for the new syle flywheel.
I have both the 98kdx and a 83 and 86 kdx
Maybee it would be a good idea for me to check both side by side and compare crank key positions, pick up coil rotation position (as in 12 o'clock-11.45 o'clock) I bet if I do I can make my own new slots for mounting and have approx. 24 degrees to play with!

I am getting really tiered of these flywheels going for 150 bucks on ebay in fact there is one on right now watched it go from 19 bucks to 109 today the auction ends.

I have my 98 kdx and it runs great lots of power lots of spooge so I'm happy just would like to get the 86 kdx going for vistors/ company

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
wow that stator flywheel combo went for 175 tonight on ebay
I bet that bike dismantler was surprized.. I'm sure he had know Idea what they go for

for 50 bucks more you can get the kit from frp minus the coils

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Do you have an auction number for it?

I have looked at the inside of each rotor, but not back to back.

I once had an '87 that would fire for a while, then run poorly, then it wouldn't run at all. The flywheel key was sheared. It may have just been off before it broke.

Some sort of modern and mid-80's combo would be great to get one of the older models back up and going again.

I doubt anything would be done on the rotor side. It must be some stator mod. A used rotor off a modern one and a older stator to use as a test bed would be great.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yep I have a 98 I can "borrow" the flywheel for testing I have two stator plates 83 and 86 my only problem is when these bikes loose their magnets they seem to tear up the coils.

I believe the magnets actualy loose their epoxy while parked due to moisture then when it is kicked over they stick between the stator and other magnets still atached.

So ANYONE going to look at buying one "that needs rebuilt" or "the piston is siezed" BEWARE it could very well be A BAD FLYWHEEL/STATOR

So a bike this old "80's" will probably need a piston and plating job wich in its self isn't all that bad $319

But add a flywheel, stator and coils approx $340 from FRP

$659 plus all the stuff you don't get with a used non-running bike most of the time!!

ANY one want 2 kdx 200 for $100

I live around Atlanta and as long as these thing are looking at me every time I go into the garage there is a risk of spending money.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
maybee I should try the banket trick only its hard due to 8 bikes ..I always have to move some out in order to work.
I have found an 88 with a good flywheel so he says asking 250 but he also states it needs rebuilt and does not run.
all i need is 3 80's kdx sitting around.

Gladtoride maybee you could take a 91 trx250 off my hands no spark now but had it running real good after replacing all the valves timing chain ect. would be a good project as it has a clutch (fun)

Top Bottom