CBreaken

Feb 12, 2003
First off since I'm new here I want to say hi to everyone on the forum. This a great place to come and learn. Anyway so it's Saturday and I'm at the Adelanto Gran Prix and I'm fixin to race on Sunday. So I go out for a ride on my WR250 and cruise around the desert semi agressivly, and then all of a sudden the engine dies, and I coast to a stop. I get off to check out what happend and I find the chain popped off. Not a big deal, I thought Id just put it pack on limp back to camp and figure it out there. Upon further inspection I foind that when it came off it slamed into the left side engine case cracking it where the clutch lever gose into the motor, and now the chain all bunched up stuck between the sprocket and my newly busted case. What had happened was the night before, getting the bike ready to race I took apart and regreased the whole rear end. Well it turns out I was too stupid to recheck the tourque on my chain guide which fell off somewhere in the desert, causing the chain incedent. About a $400 and two-three weeks worth of down time mistake. Oh, and I now I dont get to race :( Oh well, I hope you guys can learn form my mistake. Sorry for the long post. I just needed to vent.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Welcome aboard! Did you happen to have a "case saver gaurd" in front of your sprocket on the case?

Are you going to do the case splitting yourself? You should get Eric's book or consult a local shop.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A couple of things have me wondering about your experience here.
First...I think a WR does in fact have a case guard. Maybe I'm wrong...maybe it didn't work?
And, how did having miss-torqued bolts casue this problem? Is the chain guard not contained within the thrust plate, and is it not bolted on to the swingarm with two bolts? Even if the bolts of the thrust plate cover came out at the same time(unlikely), only the thrust plate itself would come off. The chain guard itself would remain on the bike since the chain is threaded through it.
This post has me asking a few more questions, but maybe you could ease my curiosity by answering the first couple.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Been there and did the exact same thing at Dirtweek 01'. Lost the guide and roller and put the chain thru the case. Not fun at all!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The whole guide just fell off?

CBreaken

Feb 12, 2003
Thanks for the replies! Sorry it's taken me so long to get back. Even though I couldn't race I still stayed to whole weekend. Anyway to answer Jaybird's questions, yes there is a case guard (if by case guard you mean a little chain guard around the front sprocket) on a WR, in fact this is what caused the cracking! I'll explain in more detail. Your right about the chain running through guide making it permanantly attached as long as the chain isn't broken. So as far as I can tell this is what happened (I wasn't exactly looking down at the chain/case when it went down). The metal holder for the chain guide fell of somewhere in the desert because I didn't double check the tourque on the three bolts that hold it to the swing arm after I put it back on. This caused the actual chain guide to get sucked up into the rear sprocket making the chain fly off. Some how the chain slamed into and binded up in between the front sprocket, the case, and the case guard. This caused enough stress to crack the case where the case guard bolts to it , and the crack ran to where the clutch cable arm gose into the motor. I think if the case guard wasn't there the chain would have just fell off (probably whipping me in the leg though). I hope this makes it a little more clear. I know that to really fully understand what happened you guys would need to see the case and such, but that was my attempt to decribe it with the written word.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I can invision the case damage fine, it was the falling off of the thrust guard that I'm having a hard time visualizing. I mean, one bolt is threaded into the swingarm, and the other is nutted. Hard for me to see them both coming out at the same time. (shrug)
Sorry about your bad luck in any case.

Top Bottom