checking if a bike is stolen before you buy it.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
sixds said:
where do i? i dont want to lose a bike at the border.

About the best you can do is google the VIN or ask your local police department to run the VIN through their crime databases.

If the seller isn't willing to give you the VIN before the deal I'd steer clear

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
When you go to pick up the bike, have a local cop from that area meet you there...

You should know right away if it's a stolen bike.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
not an option, im not about to travel to the states only to have a cop take away the bike im buying.

cr125freak

Jul 11, 2005
hey man, if its stolen, and you havent bought it,,, ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Ask if they have a title, if they dont steer clear. (ohio has titles on bikes) And if it turns out it is stolen, somebodys getting there long lost bike back

Mar 16, 2007
cr125freak said:
hey man, if its stolen, and you havent bought it,,, ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Ask if they have a title, if they dont steer clear. (ohio has titles on bikes) And if it turns out it is stolen, somebodys getting there long lost bike back

the best advice, to avoid the hassle of all the stuff is ask if they have the title. if they say yes, make sure its in their name. and ask to see a id. Its not rude to do these things. After all you are spending alot of money and theres alot of jerks out there that like to rip ppl off. I drove for more than an hour to buy a bike, I asked the guy if he had the title, he said yeah. when I got there he showed me the title, that was in someone elses name, and just said "oh I never bothered to put it in my name" it was also for a completely different bike with a different vin #. does he care I wasted my day off and 2 hours of my time to get there and back? no. the vin # should be on the frame by the handle bars. alot of times ppl spray over it to hide it too. get some like paint remover stuff and some steel wool. scrub away, and walah.

bottom line, dont buy a bike without a title. if you buy a bike with a bill of sale, it can still be stolen, and they will still take it.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
the bike im looking at now doesnt have a title, im not taking it across the border, so what harm can be done? the guy gave me a vin number.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
not everyone has a title- just have the numbers ran-
there sold with a certificate of origin- titles just mean more money - for a bike that is not rode on the road
if it seems suspicious why buy it

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom