dysfunk

Feb 19, 2006
Trying to choose the perfect dirt bike..

Okay,
I am a 23 year old male @ 5'9" & 175 lbs.
I just picked up at 95 Honda XR100 for $100 bucks.
I think it's a pretty good deal.. But I've been searching online for about a week now for aftermarket parts.. and it seems that the market is slim for these bikes... I have also realized that I'm a little too big for this bike.. So I will be looking for another bike...

I was looking for a great beginner bike.. Sure I've riden before.. but I'm not all that terribly great.. I just graduated from quad land.. ya know? I'm ready to go back to something with 2 wheels.. The average weight in my family in males is generally around 210 pounds... though my uncle is much larger..

I will do mainly trail riding and logging road riding... although, my friend has a motocross track in his back yard... and my grandfather's friend owns the track called 'Devil's Ridge.' So I may occasionally go to the track.. but I dont plan on being all that aggressive.. Although while on a quad, I am very aggressive.

side note: I frequently ride my brother's 2003 Suzuki GSX-R 600.. So I'm used to torque/speed... So with that in mind.. What are your personal opinions?

Last edited:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
A little too small? That bike is WAY too small for you. ;) I rode one as a 5'1, 100 pound 12 year old and I moved up to a CR80 in 6 months.

If you like the trail bikes, you could look at a Yamaha TTR225 or Honda CRF 230. You might even consider a Suzuki 400 - I think it's called a DRZ 400.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
yankeefan4life72 said:
look at a kdx.Great beginner bike and when you get better you can upgrade it pretty cheap.You wont be dissapointed with a KDX.

For your size and riding preferences I have to agree a KDX would be a great bike for you. The XR 100 is a kids playbike and for your size it is really not a good match. The reason there arent too many aftermarket parts for this bike is because most people do not spend the time and money outfitting a bike with aftermarket parts that they will use as a beginner platform and plan to grow out of quickly. That being said, for $100 you didnt make a bad decision, it allows you to acquire some basic skills and experience with off road riding before buying a more powerful and larger bike. But if you plan to continue riding and are at all serious about it you need a bigger bike. I would say that even a CRF 230 or TTR 225 are too small for you. If you are looking to progress slowly and gradually increase to a full size bike then this is not a bad option but in my opinion the best bike for you would be a KDX 200 hands down. Reason being is that it is a full size bike that is easy enough to handle as a beginner and is just as suitable a machine for more agressive and skilled riders. So as your skills improve you will not become bored of this bike. There are numerous aftermarket hop ups for the KDX and countless parts to suit your preferences. It is more competitive and versatile than the other bikes mentioned. I hope this is helpful.

dysfunk

Feb 19, 2006
Thanks guys,
I knew I could turn to you guys...
My friend had a CRF230 that got stolen three weeks ago.. Along with his son's CRF70, which had countless aftermarket parts.. and also his son's Suzuki 65.. (not sure what model) but he said that the 65 would walk his 230 on any given day..On the good side, the 65 has been recovered.. but the clutch is shot... He's planning on redoing the clutch this coming weekend and has never done this before...
Again, thanks for the useful information :)

Clint

ps.. I just checked out the KDX200.. and I am actually looking for a 4 stroke... So.. any other suggestions?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Crf250x.

smokemaker

Jun 2, 2005
I have a CR250 and I started with this bike as my very first bike last year, I might say that bike is very powerful for a bigginer but I might also buy a 230 for my younger brother so we dont have to take turn on the CR, i am going with the 230 because it's cheap and reliable.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom